Intel tablet boost mode....oh yeah!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Caldeio, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Caldeio

Caldeio Pen Pal - Newbie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its warm in here! I'm still doing some testing, right now its only on single core boost. Boost has gone pretty high on me, 6400 on one core. Mostly 2000-2500. I do not have a limit on it, only voltage which ill never change or release.

All cores turbo boosting like on a desktop, use a lot of power but might be a good option on charging. Im having problems here though, had it working once, but my tablet turned off the next day and i had to reinstall everything. Its very easy to enable on battery and quite stable, but uses so much power! I can also enable it on both but if i release this itll be on battery only.

Gpu is on max performance mode. Stock is balanced, there is also battery savings mode. Im not sure the lower two options are any different.

Much benchmarking and testing to go. I'm going to write an app with GUI for all of this but it'll be awhile.

Ideas, thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Sorry for the ignorance but I'm intrigued.

What device are you using?
    What software are you using to tweak voltage?
    Are you overclocking or something?
    How are you getting past Intel's built in locks on certain thresholds for temp/heat?
    How are you preventing overheating?

what on earth is going on here?!? :confused:

3. Caldeio

Caldeio Pen Pal - Newbie

Vivotab note 8
    No voltage needed for what I posted.
    No this is just intel's turbo boost at its finest.
    90c is the temp limit on haswell era chips. I wouldnt go over 70c, so for a tablet like a Dell Venue Pro 8 you might hit that quick.

Even on stock id hit 60-65c. Seems Core 3 (#2 on this chart) is my strong guy. I think over 3400mhz it kinda bugggers out. More testing, remember i have no limits right now.
    [​IMG]

If chipset allows you can over boost with intels turbo boost. On my 4770k i get...4.3mhz easy no overclock, just turbo boost. my motherboard (Asus Sabertooth) and my chipset allow this extra power to be tapped. (im at 4.5mhz daily btw)

Also i cant guarantee this to work on all tablets. Ill for sure have it limited so that might help.

If anyone wants to get HWMONITOR and do some normal things and post a screenshot? Itll help a lot!

Bronsky likes this.
  4. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

How are you achieving this? With a program or with settings?

I have the same tablet. What sort of HWmonitor screen shots do you need? Just doing basic things like web browsing, inking in OneNote... that sort of thing?

5. Caldeio

Caldeio Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes just your everyday things. Since i've change some hexcode and enabled some things, i could mess up a comtrolled experiment.

No matter what you do, it shouldnt go below 533mhz (i think) and no higher than 1866mhz(for sure).

6. 2.0™

Here you go. Ran it for about 5 mins doing all kinds of putzing around.

Stock baseline/non-overclocked readings... for those following along.

[​IMG]

If you need anything else, I'll be checking the forum tomorrow and will do my best to provide.

Dibs on your beta. :D

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Idea ... get a copy of this.

Thought ... how quickly can I get a copy of this.

Great stuff. Tablet seems to handle the boost well. Full power GPU on battery would be most interesting to me. Put me in line behind 2.0.

2.0™ likes this.
  8. Greenlee

Greenlee Pen Pal - Newbie

9. 2.0™

Won't work on Atom processors AFAIK.

10. Caldeio

Caldeio Pen Pal - Newbie

Even if it did, i highly suggest you don't. Very risky.

Limit, 60%, Max GPU performance, was stock before. Multi core boost enabled.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

very interesting, on multiple values. Anyone else want to do some more hwmonitor testing for me? Do a normal everyday test and then a maxed out test. 3dmark is free on the store, but doesn't test single core.

Next step is testing cpu on single core performance to see what real world gains are provided. Stability will be a big concern here, and this will help me decide what limit for final release.