Intel Stumped by "Sonoma"? Highest New Centrino Update Component is Dropped

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Barry J. Doyle, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Intel Stumpedby "Sonoma"? Highest New Centrino Update Componentis Dropped

[​IMG]

Users of Centrino-based Tablet PC's and notebooks have both raved and complained about the last update of the popular mobile chipsetsolutionby Intel. Sonoma has brought us some significant improvements from the last Centrino generation dubbed "Dothan". The most notable improvements have been a jump from the 400MHz front side bus speed to 533MHz (increasing the rate at which data can travel), a brand new Intel 915 chipset which integrates a much better graphics solution and support for "802.11a" wireless capabilities.

With all the improvements though,usershaveshared two major complaints about the Sonoma platform - one actually being shorter battery life than its predecessor. Secondly, many Sonoma machines just simply get too damn hot. In the Tablet PC world hot= burning forearms.

[​IMG]
    Alright, who left their Sonoma-based Tablet on and left the house?

Perhaps these issues have been the reasoning behindIntel's reorganized plansfor thedevelopment of the third generation of Centrino technology codenamed "Napa". Due to make its debut in 2006, the highest performing chipset in the last sequelof the Intel Centrino Episode III saga has been cancelled.

The dropped chipset 955XM, was to support up to a whopping4GB of DDR 2 SDRAM. Instead of continuing work on the 955XM, Intel is upgrading the other twoNapa chipsets, the 945PM and 945GM, to support 4GB of memory. Originally these were to supportup to 2GB maximum RAM. So everybody will be happy to know - there is still much innovation in store for the future of computing and Intel's chip/chipset offerings.

No matter what path is taken, let's hope Intel remembers that tomany mobile computer users (probably the majority), the most important issue is battery life and heat. We all like to be comfortable when we work right? Let's hope that effort that is focused ondeveloping a cooler and less powerhungry chip first, then delve into the interest of increasingspeed.

Forfurther informationon the current status of"Napa", check out the following links:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/12/intel_axes_955xm/

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050712A4014.html

Barry

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Crashless

Crashless Pen Pal - Newbie

edited: Nevermind.

3. Andrew

Andrew Just a Guy Staff Member

Yeah, it's just the 955XM that's been cancelled from the Napa family and not all three , the 945GM, 945PM still remain as chipsets that will be released. Here's a link to anandtech for the chart http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2445&p=3 that shows the specs on these chips, according to DigiTimes the 945 processors will be beefed up to support 4 GB of DDR2 dual-channel memory and they were only going to support 2GB so to me, since we know nothing about the 955XM as far as specs, it seems there's little loss and maybe Intel just figured performance for all chipsets was so close that the top of the line should go.

4. Barry J. Doyle

You guys are absolutely right. I have revised the article. Ohh how it pains me too be wrong! :rolleyes:

5. Andrew

Andrew Just a Guy Staff Member

oh look, the article magically changed so now Crashless and I look like we're getting on Barry's case for nothing, LOL.

damn internet, you can't change articles in a newspaper after the presses are stopped, shouldn't be allowed to online either.

6. Barry J. Doyle

Thank the maker for web-based media! It's much more flexible and forgiving at times like this...

7. Crashless

Crashless Pen Pal - Newbie

Hehe, everyone's allowed to speed read from time-to time.

Good save. :)

But good find! It's interesting that Intel has dropped so much R&D lately. First scrapping their 4ghz P4, now an entire chipset. They must be cutting their losses sooner, rather than risk dumping more and more money into a less-than-perfect design.

I just hope (for their sake) they don't lose the ground they've gained in the mobile space. They've really made some great strides with the centrino platform, and this announcement worries me that their overall architecture isn't as sound as they thought.

8. Barry J. Doyle

I have no worries about Intel's future in the mobile space. After Apple put there entire being on the line to switch to Intel chips, there is no doubt in my mind that the future roadmap for mobile processors is looking pretty sweet.