Intel News

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, May 3, 2021.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You mean ARM... Apple didn't invent sh.t

thatcomicsguy and Steve S like this.
  2. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

Good point.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

they don’t have to invent anything, they just have to capitalize on the public perception that they did. Ask 100 general people who created digital drawing, and I’d estimate 99 would probably respond with Apple simply because of that public perception.

Shogmaster, thatcomicsguy and Steve S like this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well.., they invented the reality distortion field. (Though.., I guess they didn't even invent that. They just implemented it with the help of lots of media re-tweets. Even their spin was spin.)

Then, sadly, their glorious leader passed away (leaving an unfinished bowl of fruit salad at the table.) The world is a darker place with Steve Jobs no longer leading the charge. Frankly, I miss him. He was at least a principled con man. You knew what you were getting with him. He stayed in his lane. Now we're left with (shudder) the other guy.

Eltos and Shogmaster like this.
  5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's funny that Lakefield in the Lenovo X1 Fold and Alder Lake desktops being launched now is 180 degree different in intent and approach. I poo pooed Lakefield from the get go and surprising no one outside of Intel, it sh!t its bed in less than a year after launch met an abrupt end. Lakefield approach would have been fine like 5 years ago when ARM SoCs weren't encroaching on X86 benchmark numbers. Now Intel lost mobile performance crown to ARM via Apple Silly-con (Silly in transistor count and performance) and needs to prove that it can still compete in mobile performance without blazing 3~6x the wattage. Might be tough. At least in desktop where burning 200W+ on CPU isn't still a deal breaker, Intel might have new lease on life with 'throw all da core types in' approach with help of MS to deal with new heterogenous cores shenanigans in the OS.

If this X86 big.LITTLE works out better than AMD's homogenous with 3D cache approach, then Intel is I guess somewhat saved despite their lagging fab process and reliance on pure wattage to muscle through benchmarks. If AMD's approach keeps up with Intel new trick, then I say they are really pooched in the long term.

Eltos and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

First, the good news…

Intel is back, baby! They are back up to parity with AMD in general application performance standards and they have reseized the gaming throne, there leapfrogging AMD.

upload_2021-11-4_10-23-39.png

upload_2021-11-4_10-24-59.png

However, other things are not so rosy and it makes me question just how good Alder Lake will be as a mobile product.

The bad news: If people thought Rocket Lake was bad as far as power and thermals, Alder Lake is even worse. All I can say is yikes. Man. I was hyped about performance but this is not looking good. Not at all. This is a good 25-50 watts more than the Threadrippers! With temps and power draw going through the roof like this, a 360mm AIO will be the bare minimum for these things and perhaps a custom loop is in order. With a top of the line cooling at TechPowerUp, they are already nearing thermal throttling at 92 degrees Celsius. :eek: Imagine regular users trying to tame this beast!

upload_2021-11-4_10-14-37.png
    upload_2021-11-4_10-15-14.png

All I know is while the performance is impressive, I simply couldn’t use Alder Lake in my system given this fiery hot power draw. (Would this even be allowed to be sold in California given that in the last year, gaming PCs with far lower power draw have been banned there from exceeding local regulations? LOL!) I have a 240mm AIO and that is the most I can fit into my small form factor case. A decent 360mm AIO can cost $200. Honestly, I am not too thrilled with Alder Lake since it seems to be terrific in performance, but it will be next to impossible to keep this fireball cool if you actually want to achieve that sustained performance.

tl;dr: I was thinking Intel might actually have it this time, but nope. LOL. AMD is nowhere as hot and power-hungry as Alder Lake and put Apple into the conversation and you have a bloodbath. When my 5950X draws less power and produces less heat than their latest Core i5, Houston, I think we have a problem.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    Eltos and Steve S like this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

As a follow-up, the energy consumption looks very disheartening for those of us hoping that Alder Lake might be good for mobile. Unlike Rocket Lake, these desktop products are now produced on the same process as the mobile ones (10nm or what Intel wants to now call Intel 7), so people cannot explain this away as a "process problem." I think I can see why for the first time in maybe a decade, Intel purposely opted to skip releasing this to mobile first as they have historically. If this is of any indication, Alder Lake is looking like it is going to be a bumpy ride for mobile. This might be why Microsoft also avoided it for Surface.

9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

What do you think Intel's strategy will be in mobile? They can't avoid it forever :), it's where the bulk of their dominance in the consumer market stems from.

Hypothetically, there is nothing stopping them from a 2+6 P+E core SKU, or even a full E-core chip to replace the Y series and get sub-15W TDP.

From the desktop charts though, the E cores don't seem to reducing power consumption by a whole lot (<5% :confused:). Maybe this will dramatically improve for lighter loads on laptop? I just don't want to see Intel's whole ULV lineup consist of last-gen Y series or worse, Celeron processors like in Asus' new Vivobook Slate. :p

Steve S and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

Honestly, I have no idea. I am stumped how this can be salvageable. That or we might be seeing a huge performance gap between mobile and desktop products once the TDP limits are set by the laptop manufacturers. The end result will likely be marginal gains over last gen since you simply can’t hide behind the effectively unlimited thermal capacity of desktop on a thermally constrained thin and light 2-in-1 laptop.

Eltos and Steve S like this.