Intel News

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, May 3, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Certainly ambitious and a huge step in the right direction IMHO. Now of course is the hard part, execution. What the otherwise solid Anandtech article underplays is that it will still be on developers (and MS) to optimize their apps for these new architectures.

Huge potential though :)

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

The information released from Intel seems to invalidate this previous rumor above that I shared some weeks ago.

The Core i9 11900K operates at a 5.3 GHz single-core boost and gets a score of 623 in Cinebench R20.

[​IMG]

Intel claims a 19% IPC with Golden Cove over Cypress Lake (i.e. Rocket Lake's core microarchitecture). If we see the same single-core boost clock speeds of 5.3 GHz, that would equate to 741. Let's take a huge moment to stare at this astounding achievement. This is nothing to be sneezed at! This puts AMD in a very distant position as far as single-threaded performance is concerned and puts the onus on them to deliver a similar gain with Zen 4. However, switching hats from performance analyst to fact checker, this is in no wise close to the ">810" claim as stated above. To achieve a score of >810, they would need a clock speed of roughly 5.8 GHz (623 points * 1.19 IPC improvement / 5.3 GHz * 5.8 GHz). That, quite frankly, I highly doubt.

That being all said, I reiterate these words that I shared some weeks earlier after sharing the rumor. Note particular where I emphasize how significant it is if Intel's performance gains were only half as good as the rumors claimed they would be, and we seem to be in that position now.

As it turns out, they are actually 2/3s of the way there to the claimed rumor, exceeding my halfway lowball guess at a worst case scenario. Recalling, that rumor claimed an implied 30% improvement, taking 810/623. Here, we are seeing a 19% IPC improvement. So turning back the clock to the theoretical Alder Lake-based Surface Pro 8 I had conjured up in that example, we can reasonably predict a score at this point of approximately 1800 in R23 for single-threaded. For now, I am withholding estimations on multi-threaded performance. However, I feel safe in reiterating the score of 9000, feeling that is a good floor and the most likely worst case outcome at this point. Not that bad, huh? The core counts have increased significantly, so that would meet halfway with rumored performance as stated in the original rumor's post. Seeing that Intel has at least surpassed meeting halfway with the single-threaded estimation, I can feel safe in maintaining the same belief with the multithreaded performance.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's uh...very generic. :p

I was really hoping to get more details on the scheduler, but looks like Intel's keeping all the goods close to the chest:

"One of the biggest questions users will ask is about the difference in performance or battery between Windows 10 and Windows 11. Windows 10 does not get Thread Director, but relies on a more basic version of Intel’s Hardware Guided Scheduling (HGS). In our conversations with Intel, they were cagy to put any exact performance differential metrics between the two..."

I guess we'll have to wait for Anandtech in-depth architecture examination once it releases. In particular, I'm very curious to see a comparison of the scheduling algorithm between Alder Lake, Snapdragon/Nuvia, and M1.

Battle of the titans. :)

4. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I think you will actually see more meaningful info coming from the Linux camps first as they have done a far better job of optimizing for new chip architectures than the windows crowd does which 99% of the time still aims for the lowest common denominator.

One of our consultants who claims to have seen some early tests, says Red Hats distros look quite impressive.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

6. Steve S

7. Steve S

8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

RT545 and Steve S like this.
  9. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member