Intel News

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, May 3, 2021.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Steve S likes this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

Steve S likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

N.B. No taxes if you are a large multinational. :p

sonichedgehog360 and Steve S like this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

Apple and Intel become first to adopt TSMC's latest chip tech - Nikkei Asia

Intel will be first to market with 3nm and it sounds like they are going straight for the jugular: "Currently the chip volume planned for Intel is more than that for Apple's iPad using the 3-nanometer process." Does this mean Intel is back to top performance x86 chip maker? Is this their Core 2 comeback? Things are certainly heating up. Lisa Su and co. will need to be on their toes if Intel gets the process advantage again.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    RT545 and Steve S like this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's about time!

Honestly, sending so much manufacturing overseas was the dumbest, most predictably disastrous thing the U.S. could have done to itself. Time to reverse that stupid move before things get any worse. -Though, given the way things are going, it may be too late for this generation.

Whatever. I hope at least one of my future computers contains chips made in the U.S.A.

Steve S and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  7. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

They should buy ASML, the dutch company that makes the EUV machines everyone uses...

Taiwan’s TSMC maintains lead over Samsung in advanced chips | Taiwan News | 2021-05-11 15:44:00

Steve S and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

Link:

Intel Core i9-12900K QS allegedly outperforms Ryzen 9 5950X in Cinebench R20 test - VideoCardz.com

---

Analysis and Discussion:

All aboard the hype train! I'm this close to rejoining Team Intel after viewing these results. Normally, I wouldn't trust numbers this high, especially since these are allegedly high double and triple digit percentage improvements over the Core i9-11900K. However, the leaker Raichu, the source of this rumor, currently has a 90% accuracy for 45 out of 50 leaks over the last five years and therefore is highly trusted. That instantly makes me stop and take notice. If his claims only were met halfway by the real world results, AMD would still be in a fix until Zen 4 comes out. This gets me extremely hyped for Alder Lake-M and -P, the mobile variants. Let's run through the numbers so you can see my thought process. First, here is the leak itself showing the alleged Cinebench R20 results:

upload_2021-7-20_17-35-17.png

Link:
    https://twitter.com/OneRaichu/status/1417527787695448069

Now, here are reference numbers from 3DGuru, straight from the article up top. If you peg those results from above onto the charts below, in at least one case (single-threaded performance) they extend well beyond the boundaries of the chart. That's crazy and hype-worthy if you ask me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bottom line, we are looking at a 30% uplift in single-threaded performance and a 100% uplift in multi-threaded performance. This represents the biggest jump in performance for Intel in a decade. We have not seen a single generational uptick in performance of this kind since the early Core days. I do believe we will minimally see the single-threaded performance increase across that product stack and that includes mobile, which is the focus here, specifically Alder Lake-M and -S. See the chart below for a quick reminder of the parts there:

[​IMG]

Now, to my conjecture and hypothesis. As is generally the case, I believe we will see these percentage increases translate linearly down the stack all the way to the mobile parts. Now, for some numbers there to get some perspective. Currently, we are at 1500 in single-threaded performance in Cinebench R23 for the latest 11th generation Intel Core i7-1165G7. That is basically in line with M1's single-core performance which is also approximately 1500 in the same test. If we were to apply a 30% uplift to a hypothetical 12th Gen part, it would score 1950 in Cinebench R23. That would also be 30% faster in single-threaded performance than Apple's M1.

Of similarly impressive nature is the multicore performance. This is, by the way, Intel's current weakness against Apple and AMD. The Core i7-1165G7 sits at a score of roughly 6000 in R23 for multithreaded performance. Apple's M1 hits roughly 7500. Applying a 100% uplift for multicore performance, we should expect a score of 12000 in R23. Simply amazing, huh? That's also 60% faster than Apple M1. For reference in both single and multithreaded performance, AMD's Ryzen 7 5800U, the analog to Intel's current Core i7-1165G7, gets roughly 1500 and 11000. For Team Blue, that equates to a massive victory in single-threaded performance and a slight 10% advantage in multi-core performance over Team Red. (Perhaps it's high time for me to stop wishing for an AMD-powered Surface Pro?)

Keeping expectations in check, imagine if these numbers were only half as good as they claim to be. We would still see a score of roughly 1750 and 9000 for single and multi-threaded performance in R23, easily outpacing M1. Just imagine a Surface Pro 8 with one of these theoretical 12th Gen chips inside. Speculation aside, there is no 100% guarantee any of this rumor is factually correct as astounding as we would want it to be. Nonetheless, it is fun to go through the numbers, play in the sandbox with them a bit, and bandy around estimates. Here is hoping we get to see an epic comeback from Chipzilla with Alder Lake especially if this leaker wants to keep his reputation!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Steve S likes this.
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

10. sonichedgehog360

CPU Monkey adds Intel 12th Gen processors to their Cinebench R23 multicore benchmark results

This isn’t looking good at all for AMD. Intel’s 10-core Core i5 12600K is outperforming AMD’s 8-core Ryzen 7 5800X by 25% and is neck-and-neck with AMD’s previous generation 12-core 3900X. Their 12-core Core i7 12700K is 5% ahead of AMD’s 12-core Ryzen 9 5900X and roughly in line with AMD’s previous generation 16-core Ryzen 9 3950x. Their 16-core Core i9 12900K is 10% ahead of AMD’s Ryzen 9 5950X and is nipping at the heels of AMD’s 24-core Ryzen Threadripper 3960X at just 15% slower even though Threadripper has 50% more cores.

This is huge: Intel is basically using AMD’s own Ryzen marketing tactics against them that made Ryzen such a hit and is paradigm flipping themselves. See, midrange Core i5 is outperforming high-end Ryzen 7, high-end Core i7 is defeating flagship Ryzen 9, and flagship Core i9 is giving entry-level HEDT Threadripper a run for its money. Never mind that Intel’s 12 Gen’s early single-core Cinebench R23 results across the board is shaping up to make AMD look painfully weak as alluded to earlier.

Yes, oh, yes, I am officially bullish and not bearish about Intel any longer. AMD better hit back hard with a vengeance with Zen 4 or they will not stand any chance at keeping their market share gains at the rate Intel is plowing forward. Now that Intel has gotten 10nm working and the runway is clear for takeoff, their years of engineering work that has been dying to be released is bursting at the seams and is making its way out at an excitingly accelerated pace. Intel’s officially back, baby!

Steve S likes this.