Intel News

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, May 3, 2021.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. Steve S

3. Steve S

4. jedah

jedah Scribbler - Standard Member

5. Steve S

6. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So we haven't been able to test a system yet from any of the OEMS, though we intend to at our first opportunity.

However we do have a reference design that we have started to test. At least initially, our results indicate that Intel has significantly tweaked the processor profile in a couple of areas eg, it hits maximum turbo on one or two cores measurably faster and seems to be able to maintain max turbo on at least one core in the neighborhood of 20% longer than the last gen.

Intriguingly, the overall turbo, down-clocking, and core management profile looks a lot more like the 5th gen Ryzen.

That alone could provide the difference in some of the benchmarks that are starting to come out.

I want to emphasize that A what we are testing is not a shipping system, and B, we have just started testing and those are just early indications

One side note: If what we think is happening actually is, we anticipate multiple firmware updates from the OEMs on shipping systems as companies learn and thus tweak them.

TLDR: If you do buy one of these, especially in a gaming system, I'd go with a company like MSI which typically provides more tools to tweak things like this than say your garden variety HP

sonichedgehog360, Steve S and Marty like this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Steve S likes this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

Hopefully, Alder Lake rectifies the power efficiency gap between Ryzen 5000 and Tiger Lake because... yikes. Now, I can see why 8-core Tiger Lake was mysteriously held back for so long. These 90-95 degree temperature peaks are going to seriously hamper GPU performance in the shared thermals of a very compact notebook chassis. Never mind that 8-core Tiger Lake's peak power exceeds AMD's own Ryzen 5600X desktop part. Also note that AMD is able to hit an all-core boost clock a whole 1 GHz higher during the much of the beginning of the benchmark and 500 Mhz higher (sustained) after the boost period expires with no thermal throttling. Even with its increased power envelope, 8-core Tiger Lake H's multicore performance falls short of the best 8-core Ryzen 4000 series CPU (Ryzen 9 4900HS). Heck, I now really, really want to see a Surface Pro 8 with Ryzen 5000 series, because an 8-core 5980HS when set to just a 15W TDP meets or even beats Tiger Lake H's 45W stock performance. Talk about a powerhouse! It probably won't ever happen because of Microsoft's confounded insistence on Intel chips in Surface Pro, but a guy can dream, right? ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Full review:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/16680/tiger-lake-h-performance-review/

What I found most surprising is the 5980HX when set to a mere 15W TDP managed to mostly meet and/or narrowly beat the 45W TDP 11980HK in heavily multithreaded tasks. See especially Handbrake video encoding, DigiCortex simulation, and V-Ray rendering in the review where it beats it handedly. I feel like Tiger Lake is what Ice Lake was supposed to be only a year late to market. If it had been placed up against the 4900HS, I feel the 11980HK would be in a much more favorable position today notwithstanding its over-exuberance in power draw.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Steve S likes this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

A bit premature regardless IMHO
    Since prior to the announcement of the 11th Gen core I, Intel has been tinkering and experimenting with different power profiles/ envelopes for all of their chips.

Prior to the official release of the Core i7 1165G7 used in for example the Surface Pro 7+ we saw "unlocked" engineering samples and a couple of our partners were able to run them stably at 75 Watts!

Of course the formal release locked them in the current profiles. IMHO this does represent some possibly reckless experimentation, born perhaps of a bit a desperation...

In other words, just saying.......

Power Consumption: Intel’s TDP Shenanigans Hurts Everyone - Intel’s Tiger Lake 11th Gen Core i7-1185G7 Review and Deep Dive: Baskin’ for the Exotic (anandtech.com)
    And AMD has some thermal issues of their own on the horizon.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

Interesting. I was not aware of any with Zen 4 based on the sources I have been following closely for the Ryzen 6000 series APUs. If anything, I got the opposite impression. And looking to desktops, they will be eventually dropping GlobalFoundries for their I/O die and switching to 7nm which will reduce power draw for bus/fabric operations. What are your sources telling you?

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Steve S likes this.