Intel drops the entire Atom line, Is this the End of Surface Non pro?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by swanlee, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

What's up with the site?

3. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

:)

I agree with you on most points,may not be on some points though and I don't think I will ever purchase an iPad Pro 12.9 to replace my laptop.
    The iPad air and even iPad Pro 9.7 can only be best companion tablets to an existing PC and Productivity is where Microsoft has succeed.Thats why I am more of a surface fanboy than a Apple fanboy or a macbook fanboy (Accept for some of the design philosophy of Apple and steve jobs).

Initially I was of opinion that windows tablets and especially Surface Tablets are best and iPad and android tablets were junk.It took a lot of time for me to understand that both are a bit different products for a little bit different set of consumers with hardly few similarities.
    It took a long time for me to stop hating iPad and appreciate what iPad does best.

Although as of now I don't read digital books accept for technical PDFs and flipboard,if someone needs a reading tablet as a companion device and not as a PC,iPad air or iPad mini or a kindle will be my top most choice.

I am sure there are many who own both an iPad mini/air to just do lightweight tasks like reading books and also a surface AND thats the right thing to DO.Both devices are great for different purpose and one must not try to replace both ipad and surface with just one device if he or she is very much into reading eBooks.

If you don't read books much,most probably you don't need iPad and need only surface.

Microsoft seems to continuously learning from Apple and still needs to learn some more things from Apple.This is evident from the last few iterations of Surface which took the surface Brand from "almost on verge of extinction" to "greatly sustainable Profit".

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    Starlight5 likes this.
  4. Aman

5. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

I read ebooks quite a bit. I use my S3 for that much of the time, but when I'm more mobile and don't want to carry a tablet, I use my iPhone 6S+, which does a good job as an e-reader.

Aman likes this.
  6. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't want ARM tablets, I want real X86 pc's in a small tablet form factor

Aman likes this.
  7. Aman

I see that clearly there are few people who still want a full X86 8 inch windows tablet with full windows and use a surface to read eBooks.
    But the correct way to make a 8 inch windows tablet or a book reading tablet is one which I had explained before.

Persionally I will not mix up a book reading tablet (4:3 screen,made primarily as a touch UI device) and my surface Pro if I need both a productivity machine and a eBook reading device.some things could definately converge into a great mix of refiragator and toaster.But not everything must converge like this.
    I would definately buy a eBook reading tablet seperately along with my surface if I need to. (When I say "ebook" I am not always including technical PDFs and those long PDFs can be read quiet okay on the surface.)

I would definitely prefer a 2 in 1 like surface over a conventional laptop since I need a touch screen even on a PC.

If you believe that design is how it works and if you appreciate the design philosophy of steve jobs,then most probably you will buy both a surface and a iPad mini/air or Tab S2,both for seperate purposes and not for same purpose.Apple has anyway realised that people don't want to spend too much on premium tablets which don't do PRO things.Hence the 16 GB iPad air and iPad mini is now even much cheaper than ever before since the launch of ipad pro 9.7.

As far as 10.8 surface is concerned,I too don't want an underpowered ARM based processor with it.Rather I will prefer a Core M surface 4(10.8).

A full PC preferably must not run on ultralow voltage chipset.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Bronsky and Starlight5 like this.
  8. Aman

Elon Musk uses his old iPhone to read eBooks!A bit odd.Works sometimes and not always,not for all types of books.Using an iPad mini or iPhone to read eBooks depends!;):):eek:

9. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@Aman

That's something I don't understand. Why? Why would a person need so many devices? It's not pleasant at all syncing them, and when you go on a plane, or even put all these electronics in a car, it's no sugar either. Moreover that, each device requires at least some maintenance - updating OS, installing new apps - which is harder when these devices are from different ecosystems - and replacement, when it's getting outdated or broken.

Also, I believe picking different device for different use case even in ideal situation when you're comfortably at home and the devices encircle you, laying around on the carpet (and not stashed in different places around the house/flat), is just a waste of time. E.g. you watch a movie but then an important call comes in and you gotta type a long e-mail, or just participate in an active discussion over messenger. And it's not fun at all if you're not at home, and all you're carrying is a little Android/Apple tablet and a smartphone, with no direct - or maybe none at all - access to important documents, very little comfort editing them or just typing long messages, etc, etc.

ARM tablets, especially iPads, make great use as additional portable monitors, on the other hand.

I also used a smartphone to read books, and basically tried to get away by using smartphone alone for most tasks, docking it to Lapdock when needed and resorting to Windows at home only - but realised the Android part did really hurt my productivity and limit my workflow. I was just wasting my time, using it instead of full-blown PC. Now, all I got is a smartphone, two convertibles, and a Raspberry Pi with a bunch of external HDDs acting as a server. The second convertible I got so cheap that it was impossible for me to pass by - less than Fujitsu WWAN module, it basically allowed me some time to wait before Fujitsu accessories I need become much cheaper, instead of rushing and paying absolutely insane amounts of $$$ for WWAN module, second battery and modular hdd caddy - the latter I DIYed shortly after acquiring the machine, anyway.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  10. Aman

Again,it depends on one persion to another whether he prefers phone to read books or an iPad or surface.But a 4:3 screen is ideal for eBooks.

And I don't recommend to have confusion while syncing.I prefer not to load iPad with too many things,too many photos,etc.Use iPad for eBooks or sometimes watching youtube videos,or to quickly go through mails,etc.
    Although mailing has limitations when it comes to attaching files in iPad,real time syncing is much faster and better on iPad.

You don't have to use all the features of an iPad if u own a surface.So,Syncing is not needed for all stuff in that case.I too hate using iPad in that way you have indicated.

I infact would not use the iWork suite too much on iPad when I own a surface with it.Its not just about owning 2 devices but its also about using 2 devices for different use case for different specific things.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Starlight5 likes this.
  11. Aman

@Starlight5
    Anyways,have you tried any Wacom AES tablet or a surface (3rd gen and above) in inking?Try! In my very opnion,the Fujitsu T734's stylus and the old generation thinkpad tablet's stylus is no match with the accuracy and performance of new N-Trig pens or even AES pens.As far practicality,efficiency and accuracy is concerned,AES and new gen N-Trig pens far outperform old Wacom EMR Pens.