Intel drops the entire Atom line, Is this the End of Surface Non pro?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by swanlee, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

So as a person that really likes small Windows tablets this is a pretty big blow to me.

I do agree that cherrytrail was a complete disaster, I went through several 8-10 inch cherrytrail tablets that were horribly buggy just to end up with a larger Surface 3 that I like.

However my ideal tablet is still an 8 inch Windows tablet. Baytrails were pretty awesome as far as reliability and battery life but lacked power and did not typically support 4GB ram or 1080P + screens.

Somehow MS bucked the trend with Cherrytrail and produced the Surface 3 which has decent battery life, good power and is very reliable.

My hope was to see a Surface mini down the road. I literally just want a Surface 3 shrunk down to 8 inches, that is my perfect tablet.

So without Atom what are the chances we ever see another X86 Surface Non Pro like the Surface 3 or a surface mini?

Is CoreM workable in a smaller tablet? I've heard mixed things about CoreM and am not familiar with it's ability to be in smaller tablets.

Why couldn't intel build a SOC that was as good in battery life and reliable as Baytrail but with the power needed in modern X86 devices?

I really have ZERO interests in Arm based devices, I like my small tablets but do not want to be handicapped by ARM based devices running IOS or Android.

I hope something can fill the void, the world seems ignorant to how useful a small X86 based tablet is. A real powerful pc you can carry in one hand is very useful.

Aman and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

0-10%. Much more likely they will rely on a fanless Surface Pro Core M - maybe even with 8gb/256gb option.

Despite so many of us here really liking the 8" moleskin metaphor for a secondary device, it has been a complete failure as far as form factor, features, and sales. The Asus VivoTab Note 8 came the closest, and it was a quality control nightmare. Would I kill for an 8" Surface with <0.30" thickness, 0.25" bezels, 4gb RAM and 128gb SSD - I can't even stand writing all that - it would be so "Take my money - NOW!" Maybe Panos' personal preference will bring that to us, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

Not a failure for me. I still have an 8 inch Acer W4 that was my everyday tablet for 2 years, I used that thing 4+ hrs a day everyday and I still have it running fast ring builds of Win 10 to test out with.

Only shortcomings were only 2GB ram and 1200X800 screen. If that thing had 4GB ram and a 1080P screen I'd still be using it now. It was rock solid and got 11hrs battery. Probably one of the best computing devices I've ever purchased in my 40+ years.

I'm sad at the lack of choice lately. Cherrytrail was a horrible disaster that is for sure but crazy for Intel to scrap the whole thing and say they are done with Tablets.

All I want is a Surface Mini, just take a Surface 3 and shrink it down to 8 inches. 4GB ram 128GB drive, leave the kickstand in place and shrink the keyboard cover and doc to match it.

Their are a million useless small Android tablets why can't I get just one useful 8 inch Windows Tablet with modern specs that isn't a buggy pile of crap?

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    thierryb and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If thinkpad 8 that I'm still having had Wacom digitizer and batter battery life than only 5 hour deliver would have been the almost perfect under 9 inches device.

But as I said in the other post I think Intel and OEM are much focus on above 10 inches device.

Core M we should not expect at all ever be under 9 inches device.

Only some Chinese OEM but we do not trust them until now.
    I'm not willing to take a Chinese without guarantee without after sales support and have doubt about quality of what they build.

Apollo Lake seems to be significant improvement over current Cherry Trail and think its the maximum that have small change OEM to build.

5. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

Get ready for Core M 10.8 inch surface priced exactly like iPad Pro 9.7.
    I don't think its impossible to make a small 10.8 inch Core M tablet.

I think if Atom platform dies,microsoft may use other ARM processors and run windows 10 mobile on 8 inch devices.
    It does not always make sense to have a UI of full PC windows OS on a 8 inch device afterall.New 8 inch windows devices must have a 4:3 aspect ratio which is great for reading books.

How many people buy a Windows 8 tablet to read books?
    I think not much till now.Microsoft will need to rethink its strategy to be successful to compete in the premium iPad mini category and a 3:2 8 inch windows Mobile tablet makes perfect sense for that.surface as a PC is best expereinced as what already exists already in the lineup.It doesnot make sense to make a surface Mini without capability to use it like a full PC IN REAL SENSE!

Microsoft is doing great with Surface but will need to learn from steve Jobs and Apple in order to be successful in the 8 inch competition.
    Microsoft also needs to make real post PC companion devices in the 8 inch category. Oranges can never be like Apple but can atleast become close to Apple because both are sweet fruit and thats what Microsoft must continue to do a bit more apart from sticking to their core DNA.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  6. HoHoHo

HoHoHo Pen Pal - Newbie

Btw. from what I know only the Smart Phone SoC Atoms are stopped. The Tablet Atoms are not stopped.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The Willow Trail Atoms are cancelled. I believe that they were the only ones with the proper SDP to perform in 4.5w applications.

Aman likes this.
  8. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@Aman for me, major reason for buying convertible Windows tablets was reading books and comics. In some ways, I am quite familiar with Apple iOS products - I do troubleshoot and repair them successfully. But when I try to actually use one - I simply can't, the logic behind it is totally alien to me and causes a lot of stress because for simple operations that are done easily on Windows/Linux, or even Android, you have to go through 9 circles of hell. And I don't favor the approach "The device refuses to do something because you don't really need it".

I fail to understand how people even compare the machine that delivers productivity you can do whatever you want with, to a device that doesn't even allow true multitasking or use of professional-grade software. iPad Pro are great, really fantastic devices - but, at least in its current iteration, it will never be a single computing device in eco-system, having to rely on other machines with full-blown OS and professional software to complete the job - unlike Surface line, which can be the ecosystem anchor, limited only by their hardware capabilities, not software.

I believe the Chinese second-line brands learned best from Steve Jobs. Their devices closely resembling iPad`s favorable form-factor and great screen, but running real desktop Windows (sometimes dual-boot with Android, though that trend is declining) and priced very affordably are really good - what is there not to like about them, seriously? Only sometimes mediocre quality, but many well-known brands have quality problems as well, especially in their budget lines.

p.s. I know my post may be somewhat provocative - but hey, it's just a point of view from a quite different perspective; I visited this topic absolutely unintentionally, lured by headline.

9. alextrela182

10. alextrela182

11. alextrela182

Aman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.