Intel did a video on my Surface Pro comics workflow

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Jcase, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Jcase

Jcase Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought some people here might be interested in this. A film company got in touch with me to do a short video for Intel on my Surface Pro work process. It turned out pretty well. I'm glad they were up for showing my funky lap board setup, which shows the reality of how I use the device.

They never mention the device name (it's a Pro first gen), but at any rate, if you've been on the fence about trying one of these devices, this might give you a clearer idea of how it can work for you. I've used it for comics production, scriptwriting, illustration, and design work.

The Vimeo Blog — Cartoonist Jonathan Case relies on new-fangled...

be77solo, cmergel, revmike and 7 others like this.
  2. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

That DIY board is pretty awesome! You should sell that idea so companies could do something similar. Having the surface NOT near the ground and a keyboard beneath it is just amazing. You don´t have to use on-screen buttons and you can actually reach the bottom of the screen without twisting your arm in an awkward position.

Gratz on the video too!

3. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Great video, thanks for sharing!

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Very impressive, Jon!

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes Scribbler - Standard Member

Congratulation on your work, and very impressive indeed.

Intel is not mentioning the device as they are pushing all Intel based tablets, so it makes sense.

P.S: I like the Intel slogan at the end: "Look inside". I CAN'T! It's all shut closed on tablets! :p

6. aacis

aacis Pen Pal - Newbie

Amazing! i love your work! congratulations! I am an artist and i love seeing big companies promoting their stuff trough artists and artwork! (waiting for my surface to arrive so hyped now!)

7. kekinash

kekinash Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice video and nice to see your great work. Thanks for sharing it with us.

8. Schlave

Schlave Pen Pal - Newbie

What an inspirational video! Congratulations! i hope more people pick up on this use case.

Even though I'm still just learning analog inks for now ... :(

9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Love your comic work Jon!

The video was great but I couldn't help notice when you were showing full page of art that turning on a layer had quite a bit of lag and even laying strokes seemed to delay much more than I'm used to seeing. Is that normal and something you've just gotten used to or was that a particularly large file or power setting turned down, etc. ??

I guess what I want to ask is working on high res comic pages on a ULV device with 4 gigs ram, was it an adjustment of expectations for you, -- trading convenience for performance--, or is it normally snappier?

I like to draw loose and quick with sometimes complex brushes on large canvases which I get the impression the SP1 and other lower wattage slates would still struggle with. Has this been your experience?

thanks for sharing the great video!

10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey stoneseeker, if you link me to a file like you describe, I can try to record performance on a variety of devices. I think it would be instructive for everyone.