Intel 7th Gen CPUs On Schedule for Later This Year

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, May 31, 2016.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

RT545, sonichedgehog360 and Bronsky like this.
  2. Steve S

3. Steve S

RT545 and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

I wonder if our quad core Surface Book refresh drawth nigh? Behold, the knight in shining armor: a 15W quad core based on Coffee Lake, soundly on par with the legendary stalwart champion 45W Skylake and Kaby Lake processors of old!

upload_2017-9-1_1-0-11.png

Source:
    http://laptopmedia.com/highlights/i...ke-specs-performance-and-detailed-benchmarks/

Kinda makes me wish the New Surface Pro had one of these fancy quad cores under the hood. For maximum market segmentation, though, I wager Microsoft is probably going to keep quad core exclusive to the next Surface Book for a good long while.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    RT545 likes this.
  5. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks to AMD for having accelerated things. I bet that, without Ryzen and renewed competition, we would have waited for the advent of quad core tablets longer. Now waiting for the end of the year to start watching serious fight to take place on mobile computers.

bloodycape and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

My thoughts on the eve of Coffee Lake:

Despite trying to ride the hype of the total solar eclipse, Intel will simply not allow their Coffee Lake-based Core i7-8700K to take the performance crown for six-core processors from their own. Really, that, in and of itself, would mean Intel cannibalizing their very own, only two-month-old, higher priced, six-core Core i7-7800X which just happens to be geared to the premium high-end desktop market (HEDT) market. They already got an onslaught of nasty negative PR from Linus Sebastian and the rest of the PC enthusiast community for their messy X299 launch and the overheating VRM fiasco. Now, on top of it, to take away the value of being the early adopter of their premium HEDT X299 lineup? That would only seed further discontent and doubt.

Historically, Intel is well known to be strongly profit-driven and, as such, they have reserved only the very best overall performance, besides the exception of single-thread performance, to the server, workstation and HEDT markets. But if they do an about-face and Coffee Lake's Core i7-8700K snatches the 6-core performance crown completely, you can bet the Core i7-7800X will end up becoming the laughing stock of the entire enthusiast community. Really? Releasing a high-end product only to turn around and devalue it in less than a calendar quarter's time will only anger the early adopters and further cement the rising belief that Intel is in "panic mode" and "reactionary."

Even if a product–in this case, the i7-8700K–manages to become the new six-core champion, people aren't stupid. They certainly don't want to be caught holding the bag when that same company just did a number to the i7-7800X owners who can now clearly see they had no reason to have bought their couple-month-old processor in the first place. Who is say they won't do the same again where their unpredictability may lead to other, yet unseen unsatisfactory results in a similar vein? I am all for buying the best, but Intel has to drop this smoke-and-mirrors bit and establish real goals and communicate clearly what they are achieving along the way. Happenstance heroics often proceed colossal failures.

(I still clearly remember that only a year ago Intel DIY builds made up the vast majority of those listed on the front page of PCPartPicker. Now, with Ryzen in full swing, Intel has taken the back seat and AMD has hype and rave plastering most of PCPartPicker's front page. You can see similar patterns on other major tech sites who are ranting and raving about AMD and are stumped and less than amused by Chipzilla's nebulous strategy. But I digress.)

Then again, Intel PR made the terribly juvenile and uneducated comment when they alleged AMD had "glued" multiple dies on a package in designing Epyc. Intel did this knowing full well that a very high core count processor has much higher yields, throttles less and achieves higher performance when the cores are spread across multiple separate dies rather than concentrated to merely a single gigantic monolithic die. In other words, they knew they were wrong and AMD was sitting on a fantastic discovery that can make building high core-count products much easier and more cost effective.

In fact, rumor has it that AMD's ThreadRipper costs AMD half to product of what it does for Intel since they only need to harvest two working 6- or 8-core dies rather than a single 12- or 16-core die. The bigger the silicon die, the higher the chance of defect and AMD finally made the connection and is making bank on it. What supposed professional international corporation bandies about the word "glued", anyway, when referring to a competing company's silicon technology? Unless, of course, all they have left to do is to revert to brutish, childish name calling when the cut-and-dry facts show their competitor has the upper hand. Perhaps it is because Intel is embarrassed to admit that AMD's "glue" is far superior to their toothpaste-quality TIM that they still insist on using rather than soldering their processor die to the heatspreader. Fact: "The only TIM worse than Intel's is one developed by the USSR in 1974."

Later.

-Sonic

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  7. sonichedgehog360

That livestream was a colossal waste of time and has left the online community enraged. They detailed none of the desktop processors, they just kept repeating the marketing malarkey of "outstanding... incredible... amazing... performance", they said "oh, we can do this great tech magic to monitor the eclipse thanks to the sheer power of 8th Generation technology," and they then merrily left everyone to watch the eclipse. This has to have been the worst marketing stunt ever from a major technology company. Intel is so delusional to think after all the hype they built this is not going to leave people further underwhelmed and frustrated with them.

8. sonichedgehog360

The livestream can be summed up by this one photo. Yes, the girl in the corner is sound asleep. Intel's own people thought it was a snore fest.

IMG_1347.jpg

Bronsky likes this.
  9. Steve S

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. Steve S

sonichedgehog360 likes this.