Intel 7th Gen CPUs On Schedule for Later This Year

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, May 31, 2016.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. Steve S

Knight1248 likes this.
  3. Steve S

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

So, here's my question about these Apollo Lake Chips. Does the 6W TDP mean that the Celeron or Pentiums are not capable of being used in a 2W SDP scenario like the Surface 3 tablet? I think that's what it means, making these more appropriate for net book like applications. Or am I out of my mind like most of my closest friends and relatives believe?

5. Steve S

<<...Does the 6W TDP mean that the Celeron or Pentiums are not capable of being used in a 2W SDP scenario like the Surface 3 tablet?..>>

...I think that's what a lot of people fear; that, except for the continuation of the CherryTrail devices, Intel has essentially abandoned very low power computing applications.

I suppose that ApolloLake devices could be throttled back to lower power consumption settings, but would they be stable? Would they be economical (i.e., would the parts cost be reasonably consistent with the platform cost)? Guess we'll have to wait and see...

6. Steve S

7. Steve S

8. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Fanless i3? Is that in addition to Core M? Also, isn't the J code usually for higher end/desktop Atom based Celeron and Pentium cpus; while i Core based start with a G for desktop cpus and end with a Y for mobile/tablet cpus?

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They cancelled the Broxton line of chips that was most appropriate for the Surface 3-type scenario you're talking about, so while vendors can do whatever they want really, it's definitely not ideal. The Apollo Lake stuff is intended for budget PCs, not tablets.

In addition to what you're saying about TDP/SDP, I don't even think they'll support s0ix states in Apollo Lake, which means no connected standby and also increased battery drain while idling with the screen on.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  10. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Intel's making 7th gen naming convention all f'n confusing.

Kaby Lake will fold Core M5 and M7 into Core i5 and i7, only keeping the Core M3 as Core "M":

http://liliputing.com/2016/07/leake...confusing-names-next-gen-low-power-chips.html