Integrated video and RAM > 3 GB under Win 32-bit issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Art, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kir

Kir Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for your info, Art!

But it is a kind of bad luck for my interest. You say your Vista reports 4GB installed. It is an ambiguity because there is a well known fact that Win32 can't use more than 3.2 GB. :confused:

But! Maybe your Vista can see that odd 0.8 GB exactly due to integrated video "help"? I mean Vista shows us hybrid value of memory amount: amount of RAM used directly by Windows + amount of RAM reported by integrated video.

2. Art

Art Scribbler - Standard Member

That's what I'd guess. Vista just says that the system has 4G installed, it doesn't actually say that it's using all of the stuff by itself. As a by-the-by CPUID also registers the full 4GB, but doesn't say anything about how that's divided up or actually used, although the Catalyst driver tells me it's using 1470MB.

3. newsposter

newsposter E295C + a pile of gadgets

It's only an 'ambiguity' because you persist in thinking that video chips soldered to the motherboard and under full control of windows are the same thing as PCI-e cards that have their own self-contained vram.

4. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

Vista started showing the full 4GB as of SP1, but has not changed the way it uses memory.

5. Art

Art Scribbler - Standard Member

Whatever. To be blunt I'm not that fussed on the exact use of the RAM, as long as it functions properly. No, you'd probably not get the full benefit of 4GB but hey, the difference in price between an extra 1GB stick and an extra 2GB stick is pretty small.

Yes, like I said:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.