Integrated video and RAM > 3 GB under Win 32-bit issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Art, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kir

Kir Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all!

Does anyone have an experience of using more than 3 GB RAM under 32-bit Windows (Vista or XP) with integrated video?

32-bit Windows can only "see" ~3 GB of RAM. If my system has 4 GB can integrated video use that odd 1 GB which is invisible for Windows?

Thanks!

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Senior Member

this isn't an issue, 32 bit windows doesn't support more than 3.2gb - 3.5gb, if you want to utilize all 4gb you need a 64 bit copy of the OS.

3. Kir

Kir Pen Pal - Newbie

It's clear. :)
    But as I know integrated video interact with shared RAM directly without CPU participation. So there must be no difference between 32 and 64 mode in this aspect. Thus video can utilize part of memory above 3.2 GB. Isn't it?

Strictly speaking the theory is good, but practice is best. ;) I'm very interested to hear comment from someone who has machine with 32-bit Windows, integrated video and 4+ GB of system RAM. Does such system have all 3.2 GB of RAM or "3.2 minus videomemory_size"?

4. newsposter

newsposter E295C + a pile of gadgets

The driver for the video chip comes in with windows.

Don't confuse the capabilities of a pci-e memory card and it's built-in vram with a video chip wired into a notebook motherboard and controlled by the host o/s.

5. Andresin

Andresin Pen Pal - Newbie

Kir: I'm wondering the exact same thing. 32 bit Vista reprts using only 3.2~5 but if you have an integrated graphics card that uses system RAM for graphics does that RAM get counted twice or is it actually using som of that "unused RAM"?

6. MadCow

MadCow Pen Pal - Newbie

Most likely Windows will only see 3.5gb, then the graphics card will claim some more from that amount.

Back in the old days you could set the amount of memory the graphics card uses in the BIOS, so the hardware would claim that amount before Windows. However, I think most of the current GPUs no longer work this way anymore.

7. Kir

Kir Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm... Good thoughts. Thank you for it! But please somebody give us some facts! :)

8. newsposter

newsposter E295C + a pile of gadgets

Define 'fact'.

Is it something you can believe in or something that is true?

9. Kir

Kir Pen Pal - Newbie

In this case it is just an explanation of the practical experience.

10. Art

Art Scribbler - Standard Member

I've got 4GB RAM in my TX2550ea with 32bit Vista.

Vista reports a full 4GB installed. A little digging in DxDiag says that the system itself is running on 2812MB and that the graphics chip has 1460MB all to itself. I haven't done any fiddling with the system settings, I just opened up the machine and slotted in the new RAM, so that's whatever the system has decided is best for itself. I'm not sure if you can tweak the amount assigned to each part, I've never been bothered to try to find out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.