Installed Windows 8.1 Preview on Surface Pro

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by borna761, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That is correct (so far). The plain old USB mouse, even on a hub, seems to be steady. The Wedge and MS 5000 randomly lock up, sometimes requiring a system reset - sometimes, like this morning with the Wedge, I only had to turn off the mouse to get it to reset. Wonky at best.

2. v@gelis

v@gelis Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep, you were right. With a normal usb mouse it seems that everything play buttery smoothly...
    I will stick to wedge for now...

3. dstrauss

Going back to Windows 8.0...

The screen lock-ups with my Wedge and 5000 mouse were driving me nuts, as well as some general instability issues I couldn't nail down. Overall, I think Windows 8.1 is going to be a winner, but this grizzled old veteran is grizzled enough, thank you, and is going to stay away from this preview OS - going to leave that up to all you young whipper-snappers!

I'll return the minute they make a general release. Have to admit that restoring with the backup flash drive was a cinch, but the number of Updates to endure to get back to the most recent version of Windows 8.0 is excruciating. Another big plus - as an Office 365 Home Premium subscriber it is a breeze to deactivate the old install and reinstall from the web - no disks or product keys to hunt for - this alone is a good reason to subscribe, much less five installs for $99/year.

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm actually really close to doing the same on both my Pro and RT. It's just going to be really hard to go back from some of the new improvements.

5. dstrauss

I hear you. I really LOVE the new screen snap feature, as well as the customizable start screen, to say the least. However, the performance on IE 11 can frankly suck at times compared to even IE 10, with many more incompatible websites. However, it is great in full screen Metro mode when it works (almost iPad quality scrolling and switching pages). Oh well, fall is not that far away - and NO Mr. Thurrott, RTM will not coincide with general availability - my bet is we won't see it until October.

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

There are 7 updates for 8.1 today addressing IE 11 and Store Apps Stability....

7. jhoff80

Yeah, I tried those, but they don't fix the fact that several apps that I rely on (especially the WinRT Skype) are no longer reliable and have the oddest issues. One of the weirder ones I've seen that is super annoying: Occasionally all hyperlinks in my conversations in Skype just fail to display. Plus, my display drivers don't seem to be stable any more. The screen has flickered a ton in 8.1 lately. (I'm a little concerned that this might be a hardware issue, but at least I have the extended service plan if that turns out to be the case.) 8.1 is unfortunately just not worth it for a device that I need to be as reliable as possible at this point. I really hope they can clean it up in time for release.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Glad I sat this one out =)

9. jhoff80

For what it's worth, the flickering at least did turn out to be a hardware issue, the backlight is completely dead now (despite having reset it back to 8.0).

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Time for a fresh new unit! =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.