Installed Windows 8.1 Preview on Surface Pro

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by borna761, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Apparently, after uninstalling the USB driver from Device Manager and then rebooting, it fixed the issue I was having, thankfully.

It does concern me a bit how many issues (like this one) seem to come from the upgrade install process as opposed to a clean install. That’s the exact reason that whenever I usually install a new Windows, I do a clean install. It doesn’t usually matter, because most people don’t ever upgrade a PC from Windows XP to Vista or from Vista to 7; they usually just buy a new PC. This time around though, there’s going to be millions of people doing an upgrade install (since this installs just as a new OS would), and I’m worried about the issues that’s going to cause.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  2. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

My understanding (as someone who does not have an 8.1 preview) is that there is 'auto' mode and 'manual' mode. If you set it to manual mode, it won't auto-scale anymore, and you won't have the slider - you'll have the % options as you did before 8.1. I don't remember how manual mode works with multiple monitors.

The reason some things look blurry (but I don't know why it wouldn't look blurry after you sign back on) when you're using multiple monitors is because they chose a very hack-y way to implement independent scaling. They're actually not independently scaling at all. What they do is scale for your primary display, and then on your secondary displays, they scale again - on top of the scaling already present on your primary display.

This means that if your primary display is scaled at 150%, but your secondary display is scaled at 100%, they take the image at 150% and scale it down by 67% in order to get the 100% scaling. So if you have any raster images (including numerous GUI elements), they'll look doubly bad (unless the software developers were kind enough to present both raster images at 150% size and 67% size - unlikely), because they've gone through not just zero or one but two resizings.

This is why I don't use any scaling at all. I can't stand it when raster images aren't rendered pixel-for-pixel.

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm not just talking about image assets though, even text (even in things like Windows Explorer) is blurry when switching between monitors. And it even happens when only a single monitor is enabled at a time, so I wonder how in that situation it will decide which is the main monitor.

Either way, I gave up and just switched to 125% for all monitors.

It's not really auto and manual though. It's independent scaling per monitor (the one you're referring to as auto) vs the same scaling for all displays.

4. meow9th

Yes, this is the part I don't understand. All fonts should be rendered as vectors; fonts are defined in terms of Bezier curves, not pixels! Why does scaling seems to rasterize everything? The obvious solution to fix all the scaling problems, in my mind, is to require developers to only use vector images on all GUI elements. Then you can scale continuously with no loss of beauty.

There is probably something going on deep in the Windows API that makes the situation more complicated than I think it is. This is why I was very dubious that 8.1 would present any kind of revolutionary scaling improvement, because I think they'd have to rewrite/re-architect code at a fairly deep/old level in order to make scaling 'work right'.

Yes, sorry, you're right. What I was thinking of as manual (you set the %) also restricts you to the same scaling level across all displays.

Here's the Ars Technica article I read on it:
    Windows 8.1 and high-PPI displays: Better, but still lacking | Ars Technica

The key screenshots are
    (manual/same across all displays) http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/scaling2-e1372281851307-640x490.png

(auto/different across displays) http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/scaling1-640x467.png

5. visualj

visualj R1F Pen Pal - Newbie

Not at a job, but college. Had to submit assignments to the operator then wait for the results. And we got 'charged' for each run. If you ran out of time or money, you couldn't submit any more assignments. Really burns you when your program doesn't run because of a syntax error...

Anyway, back on topic. There are a few subtle differences in the way that the Metro/Modern picture viewer works now. It seems to pick up a few more folders than it used to.

6. meow9th

So it's not restricted to libraries anymore? The restriction to libraries only in the Metro file open dialog confused me so bad for awhile ...

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

8. v@gelis

v@gelis Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello guys!
    I am using 8.1 on my surface pro from their launch day (preview), but I have one major problem. While using new internet explorer, when scrolling while using external keyboard and ms wedge mouse, it hangs during scrolling.
    The scrolling experience seems seriously broken and I can't figure out what's the reason.
    Any thought on that?
    PS 64GB are so limitating. I wish I have thrown away some more money to the grey imported SP here in Greece.
    Thank you in advance...

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It may be a Bluetooth thing - I get this with both the Wedge and a Bluetooth 5000 mouse, but not a USB mouse.

10. v@gelis

v@gelis Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply.
    Before the update the scrolling experience was very Good.
    The problem started after updating To 8.1.
    You mean that you also have the same problem With a BT mouse but not With a usb?
    Hmmm, let Me try this out...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.