Install XP on the new tx2500 (tx2524ca in this case)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by forrestsun, Jun 30, 2008.

1. nevarDeath

nevarDeath Phone Expert

What is the advantage to installing XP? Before I got my tablet, I was dead set on installing XP on my g/f's dv9000, but since I didn't have vista ultimate and didn't feel like upgrading just to downgrade, I didn't. Now I really like vista and she does too.

2. sarmale

sarmale Pen Pal - Newbie

The tablet that I'm planning to buy is actually the same tx2524ca, and I was wondering if there are really that many conflicts with 64 bit vista... Why would I switch to XP? Just because it is more stable / less bugs? Can I adapt to the 64 bit, or will I have to make too many concessions? I need such programs as photoshop to work... As well, I already have Office Ultimate purchased... Will this also work on 64 bit vista? :confused:

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Some people have issues w/ the x64 its going to be about the software & peripherals you use, check to make sure they are compatible, and that there are appropriate 64 bit drivers for them.

HP provides drivers for the machine itself so that will not be an issue, if you are someone who likes to tweak their machine, latest component manufacturers drivers or hacked drivers, you will have issues, you can only use signed drivers on x64.

Many people choose to go back to XP, b/c of the familliarity, and b/c it is less resource intensive than Windows Vista, so there is a level of performance gain in that regard, some have also experienced better battery life, since XP is not as taxing on the graphics processor.

You have to make the decision for yourself if the performance gain is worth the reduced tablet functionality in terms of recognition and stuff like flicks.

4. agashka

agashka Pen Pal - Newbie

On my side, XP works 'ok' with the Tablet, i've made some drivers pack availible here:
    http://tx2500z.googlepages.com/home

and since you have to put the sata drivers on the CD, why not add em all? that's right, the drivers included are ready to be slipstreamed to the CD, and If you don't want to, you can also install them under XP.

All left to do is getting the buttons on the laptop to work, and I'm working on that, and getting the screen to rotate and to play nice with the digitizer.
    Also, if i could get some power management working, it would be cool, NHC doesn't recognize the hard drive (driver issue?), nor the GPU and does not allow downclock of the CPU. I've got only 2h out of my 8-cell battery with everything pushed out to the max.

5. celeron_266

celeron_266 Pen Pal - Newbie

installing the amd cpu driver allows you to lower the clock speed using the power management settings

btw...are you able to replicate my problem regarding the digitizer coordinates when you rotate the screen using the ati control panel?

6. agashka

agashka Pen Pal - Newbie

yes, im no tablet expert, but I guess that when you rotate with the ATI control panel, the screen does rotate, yes but windows ''might not be aware'' or something, what we're looking to do is mostly make windows knows the screen has been rotated, or make windows do the rotation, so the digitizer would be aware of this.

I tried to install the CPU driver, and they seem to have limited effect, as I've seen my cpu constantly at 2.4ghz (witch suck, compared to my previous laptop)
    I will try to dig deeper with power management. The hdd drivers seems to be wrong or something, because I cannot access any hd information (or maybe it's the program?)

7. celeron_266

celeron_266 Pen Pal - Newbie

i will say its the software...cuz if the hdd driver is wrong..you wont even be able to install windows...

about the cpu speed issue...if you use "max battery" power scheme it will go down to 500MHz...the "desktop/portable" power scheme only lets the cpu to go down to 1000MHz

i dont know if this will make any difference...but when i test installing xp to the machine i also installed the "AMD power monitor"...i doubt this will do anything though cuz its the driver that do the throttling

8. mcdull

mcdull Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been trying to install XP Tablet 2005 (tried both SP2 or slipstreamed SP3) for 2 days, but everytime after I installed the ATI display driver and reboot, it crashed with blue screen PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error

I have to go into safe mode and uninstall the display driver and it will boot again normally

I have tried installed all Windows Updates available before installing the ATI driver, but that didn't help.

Anyone has experienced the same problem?

9. mcdull

mcdull Pen Pal - Newbie

check the AMD forum, seems everyone has HD3200 IGP has the same problem with the 8.7 driver. The 8.6 link is broken in AMD's page.
    The 8.5 works fine.
    So, don't install the latest 8.7 driver!

10. challenqing

challenqing Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, budies, I only have XP professional sp2, I don't have xp tablet edition. Can I just use xp prof to do the downgrading? not tablet edition.
    Hoping for your help.
    Thanks very much