Install XP on the new tx2500 (tx2524ca in this case)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by forrestsun, Jun 30, 2008.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

forrestsun, the swsetup folder isn't going to be of much help for drivers, b/c they are for vista. It's better to check the components of the system & then find the XP drivers from HP's other machines w/ similar components.So since you've found the ati drivers and the sata drivers, everything else should be similar to those used on the tx2000 and as such you should try the drivers from that thread

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

any noticeable difference in battery life in XP, versus Vista?

3. forrestsun

forrestsun Scribbler - Standard Member

Currently there is no way to control the cpu states under xp as good as under vista. Under vista I can cap the cpu at 500Mhz so that the fan never kicks in too high; under xp i feel the fan is always on medium level. However I haven't compared battery life very carefully.

4. Natadler

Natadler Pen Pal - Newbie

5. forrestsun

thanks! what setting do you use in xp to achieve the cap?

Under xp the fan comes at medium speed almost all the time (haven't tried the driver yet). Under vista if just browsing etc. the fan always at low speed.

Do you experience the same?

6. Natadler

Natadler Pen Pal - Newbie

Once you install the Power monitor it will give you various settings. I believe there is a Max battery (or something of the like) that should do what your looking for. It should also show the speed and cpu usage on a graph when you click on the tray icon.

As for the fan speed i never really did much of a comparison. I offed vista pretty quick the fan seems to bounce between low and medium. But I'm setting up a dual boot setup and should be able to comment on differences soon. As for battery time the machine seems to be withing expectations. I've not timed it exactly but it has been meeting my needs with the 6 cell battery.

7. celeron_266

celeron_266 Pen Pal - Newbie

8. forrestsun

It should but sorry i have not tried. It works for the tx2000 (well only the rotation button I think, other buttons are useless in xp).

I only suggest for dual boot if you really need xp for certain apps, otherwise the vista pretty much does everything and has lots of nice touch. So don't go only with xp just because others are saying vista is bad..2 cents.

9. celeron_266

well i wanna do it cuz i am sick of removing junks from the factory installation....now the machine starts up even slower than my 6-year-old laptop (athlon 1.2GHz, 256MB ram) with xp in it!

i just wanna compare the speed difference between the two OS...if they are pretty much the same i can always go back to vista using the recovery discs/partition

10. celeron_266

ok after several days of trial installations i have the following findings

1. you dont need to install the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio Driver given that you install the latest HD audio driver from realtek

2. rotate buttons doesnt work even if you install the quicklaunch buttons (6.40C to 6.40E)...pivot seems to work with 6.40C though...if you change the screen orientation using the ATI control panel (with pivot not installed) to portrait mode, the digitizer will recognize the stylus position with both vertical and horizontal coordinates flipped (ie. if you touch the top left corner the cursor will show up at the lower right corner)

3. DVD and quickplay buttons work properly after installing quickplay 2 with the registry hack

4. in all xp driver packages that i have seen here, the IR receiver driver is never included, resulting in one "unknown device" shown at device manager with device ID of ENE0100, you can find drivers for that with google

5. even with IR driver installed, the remove does not work

6. if you start your webcam using the little icon located at my computer, the video will look HORRIBLE (overexposed is the term i think) because windows enables low-light compensation by default and seems that it doesnt work properly....to solve this install the webcam driver (sp35414) included in the TX1000 driver pack and use the included software to turn on webcam

7. clean xp is definitely faster than vista with junks

i am going to try doing a clean vista install tomorrow (since i dont have a vista disc...i will have to try the "disable FBI Gui Manager forcefully" technique)...unfortunately it will still be at 64-bit so i guess i wont reach the highest performance even with the clean install...