Install XP on the new tx2500 (tx2524ca in this case)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by forrestsun, Jun 30, 2008.

1. tannalv

tannalv Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea, sorry, I had to wing it off of my memory... It is very kind and probably helpfull for others (not everyone registers and writes in you know) if you do write out some detailed help.
    Thanks for the thought anyways. And glad to hear it worked for ya! :)

2. tinker

tinker Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, Thx everyone for pulling all this info together. Just downgraded to XP tablet on my TX2510US using a slipstream of the gigabyte SATA driver and Service Pack 3 on XP tablet edition.

I used Agashka's software/driver pack to install the rest of the devices after the initial install except for the following:

HDD Driver - Gigabyte SATA Driver as TxtSetup.oem driver merge in nlite
    Pen Digitizer - Used the Wacom Driver
    Synatptics Touchpad - Used HP SP38455 to get all the advanced configuration options
    Fingerprint Reader - Used HP SP35640 (driver and software in one)

Don't know why HP does not say that these SPs are Win2K XP compatible.

Everything works great!!! Much faster than Vista and the CPU fan operates at the same noise levels as in Vista. Most of the time Medium & Low then High under heavy usage.

Thx again everyone.
    Tinker

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Triny

Triny Pen Pal - Newbie

I have noticed that the fingerprint software does create some issues..when you lock your computer using Fn+F6. The fingerprint reader stops working and you have to type in the password. It works initially after install and then stops (shows as background busy) and then when you try to shutdown the laptop, the laptop takes much more time. I have tried various scenarios with and without the fingerprint software. Anyone else having this issue. I am using the verisoft with welcome screen option. Not sure if i am configuring something wrong in settings and options in VSAM! this is also the problem when you use screensaver with "show welcome screen" option checked.

4. chhh

chhh Pen Pal - Newbie

i had the problem with blue screen during XP install whatever drivers i tried slipstreaming into the XP install cd.
    the solution was to DISABLE ORIGINAL SATA DRIVERS that come with some distribs of XP, exclude them from the package (nLite provides such an option) but include drivers provided by the links in this thread, then you're golden!
    thx a lot to everyone posting here, i'd otherwise give up all my efforts!
    (special thx go to Agashka for his driver compilation)

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

chhh we don't advocate the use of torrents on our site.

and i'm sure you'd hate if you lost the valuable resource tablet pc review has become.

We do not advocate the use of torrents on this site, and the issues SEVERAL users have been experiencing which as you noted has been tied to the use of torrents is one of them.

If you want to use Windows XP Tablet Edition on your tablet, invest in a legal copy. It will save you a world of heart ache.

6. chhh

chhh Pen Pal - Newbie

well, i've already invested in windows vista wich came with the laptop not for free and i'd like to have the option of downgrade. I understand that you could say "don't buy it if you don't like", but currently there are not many affordable tablets with windows xp tablet..
    one more thing. now imagine a situation, i go and buy a win xp tablet for another 160$, happily (sadly?) come home only to find out that there is no way i could install it without quite a bit of surfing the net, downloading additional software and so forth. plus there is no chance of giving it back to the store, the box is already open and cd is working fine.

ps: removed all the 'tabu' words

7. Annie-SanJose

Annie-SanJose Pen Pal - Newbie

First, thank you for the great info in this thread!

I have a TX2510US which I am in the process of downgrading from Vista to XP.

After going through the posts I was able to use nlite to slipstream the gigabyte sata driver with XP Tablet 2005 cd1 and burn a new CD including the SATA driver. This enabled me to install XP Tablet and not get a BSOD.

Note that my first experiment was to slipstream the two folders provided by agashka, with Tablet 2005 cd1, but with that I still got BSOD. So although I plan on using the drivers provided by agashka to install missing drivers after installation for whatever reason I could not use it for installation time, I had to use the gigabyte SATA driver alone, downloaded from
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=Driver&FileID=3676

Now the issue I have is that I do not get asked for CD2 and so like a previous post, even though it says I have "Tablet PC Edition 2005" on the system properties, I have no Tablet functionality.

I have already tried a new fresh install of XP. I also tried the upgrade option from within XP. But no matter what I try it does not ask me for XP Tablet 2005 CD2.

Any suggestions? At what point in the XP installation should it be asking for CD2?

8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

and you have a valid xp tablet key?
    It asks for it around the time that it does the network setup etc if i remember correctly.

9. tannalv

tannalv Pen Pal - Newbie

What I did was copy both of the CD's into a folder (called it Tablet XP - you may name it anything you'd like) on my desktop. It will ask you about overwriting some files - I selected "only if newer" (or was it "more recent"?). Then I ran nlite, pointing it to that folder.

That worked for me. However, YMMV.

10. Annie-SanJose

Annie-SanJose Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I am using a valid Tablet 2005 key.

I will try to put everything on a dvd and post the result.