Install XP on the new tx2500 (tx2524ca in this case)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by forrestsun, Jun 30, 2008.

1. forrestsun

forrestsun Scribbler - Standard Member

Update3: User Agashka has nicely made driver pack to be used to install xp on the tx2500 series tablet. Please refer to his page for the detailed information. Thanks!

===============
    First thanks Drtigerlilly to give me a start by providing the sata driver. I think it's a good idea to start this thread so people can share your own

experience and solutions if you decide to do so. Here is my current prograss on installing xp tablet edition 2005 on the tx2524ca I purchased from futureshop. A mixed bag really.

1. Use the sata for xp driver here
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=Driver&FileID=3676
    and integrated into the the first disk of the xp tablet edition 2005 (the second disk is for the tablet compnents), using Nlite.

2. I know that on the tx2000 the xp tablet edition installation process will ask for the second disk during the install. However it was not asked this time. Once installed and booted into xp. I checked the system information does show "tablet edition", however no tablet components (such as journal and tablet property setting under control panel) can be found. And no native support for touch and pen. Note on the tx2000 right after install the touch and pen was supported. So now there is no response to the pen or my finger.
    ===
    Update: like kirkosa did, i reinstalled my same xp tablet edition while in the xp system, chose upgrade and provided same key. The installation went well and DID ask the second disk this time!! After installing the tablet features appeared, and pen and touch supported!! Well I always think computer shall perform exactly what it should be but i guess they also have mode? So the second time it was in a good mode and did what it suposed to.. Anyway if you fail the first time just try it again. ===
    4. video driver in the vista swsetup folder didn't work. But driver from ati site works very well. the link is here
    http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/integrated-xp
    Just make sure you install net framework 2.0 (obtainable from microsoft) so that the ati control panel works.

5. Sound driver. Very confusing experience. first install the one in the swsetup folder and restarted. No sound and no realtek hd device under device manager. uninstalled. tried the realtek driver 1.70 (obtained from the tx1000 sticky thread) and restarted but no sound either. Then i don't even remember when but during another attempt of refreshing the device manager the hd device was detected and driver installed. The sound icon appeared , but no sound!! Then installed the drive from the swsetup folder again. then restarted. Sound came, and the volume buttons started to work. If you have smoother expereince please share. I am not sure if i can repeat this process again.
    Update 3: See Drtigerlily's post just below for sound driver issue.

6. My wireless is the broadcom 4322ag adapter the drive has to be this one here
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3647228&os=228&lang=en

7. net work driver for me is realtek rtl8168c(p) nic, drivers here
    http://www.radarsync.com/driver/d275761-realtek_rtl8168c_p_8111c_p_pci_e_gigabit_ethernet_nic

8. the vista bluetooth driver won't work either. The one for tx1000 works the link is here
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp32501-33000/sp32883.exe

9. quick button and quick play from vista swsetup folder won't install. haven't tried any. don't really need them.

Update 2: By Natadler on amd cpu driver:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Glad the Sata driver worked!!!! i was waiting to hear from you :)

also there is no reason to keep XP Tablet Edition as 2 disks, you can also use Nlite to make it into one disk, and then you can store it on a dvd.

You just make a CMPNENTS folder on the disk one (or rather the folder containing those files) and copy the tablet components there.

Also in the 2 disk scenario, it won't ask for the 2nd disk unless you use a tablet pc key, so essentially you have an XP Pro installation. (since it never asked for the 2nd disk)

All the new HD audio drivers are a pain in the @#$ to install there's a Microsoft driver (Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio Driver) that needs to be installed first. I'm going to get the proper name for you, and the soundcard is tied to the modem as well, its a grand mess across all the HD audio sound cards.

have you tried the bluetooth driver from the tx1000 thread?

To install QuickPlay you have to make a registry edit. (i found this out after we were trying to get the xp disk to boot yesterday).

The added benefit of running XP is that you can also install the QuickPlay Boot utility which allows you to start QuickPlay w/o booting into the machine, to get this feature though you need 204MB of space partitioned as a primary partition at the end of your hard drive.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. forrestsun

I am glad there are knowledgable person like you on this forum. If you can help on other issue i raised i would be so grateful!

4. forrestsun

I did use a key for tablet edition (got this from my technet subscription so it can be used multiple times) and had used it on the tx2000 xp tablet install. That is why i found it weird. I even saw "windows tablet edition 2005" under system property. But it did n't ask for the second disk.

Haven't tried the bluetooth other other quickplay button methods.

5. forrestsun

Btw do you know if the rm-70 used in the tx2524ca model is different than the zm turion ultra? (other than the l2 cache being only 1M)? I hope even without the ultra name it still provide similar power saving technology. Thanks!

6. kirkosa

kirkosa Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,
    XP Tablet SP3 with the SATA Drivers installed correctly on tx2500 but pen and touch arent working.
    Tried different wacom drivers version but nothing.

How can I make them work.
    So let me know. Thanks in advance.

7. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

The only difference between the Ultra and the regular Turions is the cache. everything else is the same. The Athlons are also similar but I believe they only have 2 P states while the Turions have 3.

Just to confirm could you upload a screenshot using CPU-Z(latest version) to check the lowest possible p state(lowest frequency) of the cpu.

Thanks.

8. kirkosa

kirkosa Pen Pal - Newbie

Pen + Touch arent working on XP tablet tx2500.
    What HP did to the wacom usb?
    Both work fine with crappy vista. I dont like /want vista on my tablet tx2500.
    I bought the tx2500 just for windows xp tablet not for vista.

Please if you know how to make the pen and touch work. Post the steps here.

thanks,

9. forrestsun

Do you also have a 2 disk tablet installation? did the install ask for the second disk? do you have tablet features such as journal etc. installed?

also i believe the weirdest thing is under device manager there are all wacom related device installed, but just no pen support. are you getting the same?

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

It is definitely strange that you guys are not getting pen support, when you go to System Information what does it list as the operating System on the machine? b/c its really sounding to me like you just have xp pro installed. (as forrestsun suggested that maybe it didn't use the 2nd disk to add the tablet components.)