Install vista sp1 or not bother?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by daver, May 20, 2008.

1. scoobie_snacks

scoobie_snacks Pen Pal - Newbie

My vista update is nagging me to install Sp 1 but im in two minds whether to do so. I read quite a lot of comments on its release that it actually decreased performance. Is this still the case?

Are there any benefits to installing it? If not i will re move it from my updates list and wait till sp2.

Thanks

2. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

for me, i did not lose any performance at all, but gained a little less than most other people did.

keep in mind that the opinions from the internet are only but a fraction of the Windows population out there, so there are likely many, many more satisfied/unsatisfied SP1 users out there: the disgruntled ones are much more likely to make online posts about their problems though, than a satisfied SP1 user is going make a post about their successful update.

as for the performance boost, my file transfer speeds have increased dramatically (what used to take 5 minutes to copy maybe 300MB to my flash drive now takes only 30 seconds), and my start up has improved quite a bit. the rest of windows hasn't changed much, but i'd assume all the other changes are under-the-hood, so to speak.

3. alanjrobertson

alanjrobertson Scribbler - Standard Member

I've not been offered the SP1 update yet on my TX1030EA - has anyone else with this model had it?

4. scoobie_snacks

scoobie_snacks Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok thanks for that, in which case i think i will install it.

5. thebranded

thebranded Pen Pal - Newbie

manually installed sp1 my shutdowns are much faster but not much else

6. alanjrobertson

alanjrobertson Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm still going to hold off installing until the upgrade is offered - sorry to hear there was only minimal improvement, my TX1030EA remains sluggish when doing anything related to network or far-right of taskbar icons (eg. power options)

7. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

SP1 is more of a security update release than a performance update. much like XP's SP3 release.

SP1 "promised" performance improvements but really it was more of a patch to fix bugs than a real update to the operating system. this is probably why, IMO, SP1 isn't as impressive as people thought it would have been.

personally, SP1 was worth the start up/shut down speed improvements and improved file operation speeds (i.e. file copy, move) alone.

i can't say too much about Vista anymore because i've gone back to XP Tablet.
    elapsed time from power up to idle HDD activity after log on: 40-50 seconds ;)
    shut down? faster than you can say "Microsoft Windows Vista Home/Business/Enterprise/Ultimate Edition"