Inside the Pen ...

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by thadwald, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

My pen stopped working and since it is out of warranty, I figured that I have nothing to lose by taking it apart. So I did. I simply grasped the front end of the pen with pliers and unscrewed it from the barrel.

I found the problem. I think it is due to bad engineering. The pen depends on a solid contact between a steel wire and the aluminum body of the pen. Over time, electrolysis causes corrosion between the two dissimilar metals and forms an insulator.
    [​IMG]

I also discovered that the controller on this pen has an eraser capability.

Here's an image of the whole thing.
    [​IMG]

I filed back the barrel a bit, cleaned the contact area, and applied some electric contact grease before assembling the pen. It now works again!

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

...Great pictures and your fault diagnosis sounds right! Thanks for posting this...

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Excellent, thanks! I now have 4 pens to fix including my beloved HTC Flyer pen which is beginning the intermittent stage. All we need now is a quick and repeatable procedure and the whole community will benefit!

Edit: I was able to unscrew the nose of my HTC Flyer pen and pull it apart. I couldn't figure out how to get the pin out from the coil so I just slid the coil back and forth and then reassembled it. It works fine now (so far). The only issue I had was with the buttons but I found that if I put the guts all back together then the buttons snap in from the outside just fine.

Edit 2: I just took it apart again and this time also cleaned the contact for the battery, which sits at the opposite end of the board from the pen tip. I took it apart and back together again in about 1 minute. Learning how to field strip it and clean it if I need to at a meeting!

4. sharpear

sharpear Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone got the eraser to work? I knew the pen had this feature, but have still to get this to work like an actual eraser. I could not get the pictures to load of the pen, but will check and try this when I get home to see if I can view them.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It doesn't work on the Slate 500 hardware. If I recall correctly, it was working on the Fuji Q550, with newer hardware so it should work on the Slate 2.

6. dceggert

Here is a new data point ~ the pen that came with my son's Q550 had intermittent issues since we received it. The HTC Flyer pen I bought him also had inking issues. I told my son about the disassembly, scraping the coil on the core pin, then reassembly. He reports that both pens now function like new.

So, in summary, you done did it! Thanks a bunch...

Now we just need to figure out a way to protect the surfaces to slow the rate of surface corrosion so that the pen will work longer without recurring issues. Then, we can publish this procedure to all N-trig Duosense threads.

A thin coat of Electrically Conductive Grease? Thadwald - How is your pen working with the grease you put on it?

7. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine is working fine now but remember that it took a full year for the corrosion to become a problem in the first place

8. dceggert

I have had much worse luck than a year before issues came up. On the pen I received with my T580 it was about 1 month until intermittant issues cropped up. On the Q550 pen it was about 3 months and my silver HTC Flyer pen it was about 3 months. The used Q550 I bought my son came with a new pen still in the plastic box that did not function day one. The brand new HTC Flyer pen I bought him as a replacement had issues day one also.

All are working now!

Once fixed, my son is actually using the Q550 now. He wasn't and did not have the heart to tell me he hated the experience. Now he claims it works as good as the 2730P.

9. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

The pictures no longer work. Any chance we can update them?

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yes, please. I want to experiment with my HTC Flyer pen and see if I can improve its performance. The pictures would be a great help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.