Inking PDFs coming to Edge in Fall Creator's Update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jnjroach, Jul 13, 2017.

1. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, as of Build 16237 Edge now supports Windows Ink in PDFs. It works really well, at least as good as Drawboard. It should be good enough for most users.

I've tested on some large PDFs files (40MB - 800 Page)

upload_2017-7-13_8-27-18.png

2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Is there pen pressure? It doesn't look like it in the screenshot.

I swear that MS Reader, back in Windows 8, had pretty good inking on PDFs, but when I redownloaded it for Windows 10, the inking was super vector-y and sucked super hard.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Nope - the only pens are the ink ones with no pressure curve but fine for notes.

4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think they stopped development of the reader app, and pushed DrawBoard instead since it has more features. That said I really loved the simplicity of the Reader app.

Sent from mTalk

DRTigerlilly and WillAdams like this.
  5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I really don't get why they keep trying to put this stuff in Edge. I get that internal lightweight PDF readers are useful when reading PDFs online, but when I open a PDF attached to an email or from file explorer, I don't want it to open the browser, I want it to open in a reader app. I don't care if they use the Edge PDF engine in that reader app, but it's just dumb design the way that it works now. (And that goes a million times more so for reading books from a sidebar in the web browser). Seriously, they need to throw together a dedicated UI for this stuff and it'll be so much better.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    dbrn, Druid, Selofain and 2 others like this.
  6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I want to know why this functionality can't be in Onenote.....or a standalone app would be fine too!

dbrn likes this.
  7. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Ew. :( I hope they add it in. Without pen pressure, there's no point to the program. You may as well be using a fat touch stylus. There would be no difference.