Inking differences in XP vs Vista?

Discussion in 'Software' started by waplespunk, Aug 20, 2007.

1. waplespunk

waplespunk Scribbler - Standard Member

I ordered my tablet with XP Tablet and I have Vista Business at home in case I want that instead. I'm getting the new Gateway with Wacom.

I use XP for my desktop and have no problems with it--all the software I own runs fine. I've heard of issues with Adobe Lightroom and CS3 not installing/running well on Vista, and I'm 99% sure 3DStudio 6 will not run at all on Vista. So I'm thinking that XP is where I need to stay.

However, I have really poor handwriting.

Will XP come even close to Vista when it comes to handwriting recognition?

I've seen how Vista has that little tab you click and a place pops out for you to write on. Does XP do it the same way?

In XP, how do you hand write something long, like a paragraph or two in Word?

Does XP train like Vista does?

Thanks

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've been using XP Tablet Edition 2005 for ages and have never, repeat never had an issue with handwriting.

Yes, Vista is better but it's not the bee-and-end-all for Tablet users.

I'm like you, I have several hardware & software titles that will not run on Vista.
    I have no intention of moving on to Vista.... I'll either wait for Vista to go SP1 or for Windws 7 to hit the scene.

3. waplespunk

After posting this I did some research and saw there's a similar text input to what Vista uses. But I also read that it doesn't learn, so I'll just need to make sure I try to write better.

What I'll probably do is try XP for a while, if I find that I'm getting tons of mispellings, I'll try Vista. If things don't work on Vista, I'll go back to XP and just try to write better.

4. Maria_Andretti

Maria_Andretti Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm using XP Tablet, and the input works very well for me. I've got really erratic handwriting (a cross between fast all-caps and script), plus my SO's handwriting is pretty terrible, and it did fine for both of us.

The only parts that are tricky are when you're writing in a web address or something where it might interpret the characters oddly. I've made an effort there to be more clear, and it works well. If I miss on a letter, I just fix it before it's inserted, or switch to 'keyboard' mode and tap in a correction letter.

The other nice thing is that you can add words to the dictionary, so while it may spaz once, it won't do it the next time.

5. waplespunk

Thanks Maria. That's exactly how I write too. Makes me feel better about it. My tablet should be here in two days so we'll see what happens then :)

6. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For me, Vista inking blows away XP.

It's substantially better, enough that when Vista makes me pull out my hair and I want to go back to XP, I remember that inking is important enough on the tablet to not give up.

If I could detach the inking capability from Vista and move it back to XP, I'd rollback in an instant.

7. waplespunk

My tablet came in today and XP seems to recognize my handwriting pretty well. Much better than I thought it would. I just need to customize it more and get used to how to better do things.

One question I still have is how do you write a longer paragraph in XP? The text input panel is only one line and I have to press Input in mid-sentence to allow me to keep writing.

8. minimage

minimage Pen Pal - Newbie

AFAIK, you only get one line when docked on the bottom. You either have to dock at the top or float.

9. waplespunk

Ah yes! That does it. Thanks.

Now, this is odd though. If I select 'undock', it just goes away. Seems to only be working for dock at top or bottom.

10. Maria_Andretti

Maria_Andretti Pen Pal - Newbie

When you 'invoke' the panel, are you clicking the icon at the bottom, or the floating icon that appears when you're ready for input? For me, it only seems to 'hard dock' when I use it from the task bar, but if I click the floating icon button, it also floats. I haven't played around with it enough to undock/redock though.

The thing I found a tad awkward with the bar is the start/stop when I insert the text. I've gotten better about popping to the right and adding/deleting spaces or entering for paragraph breaks. My first attempts were rather frustrating as my words ran together and I stupidly kept switching to typewriter mode to do the spaces, backspaces, enters, and other editing that is actually provided for me in all of the screens. Duh.

And on top of that, I have a Palm PDA, and am really really fast at Grafiti (old style). So when I'm doing entry into TIP, I sometimes revert to the goofy characters for PDA entry and then XP is all ??!!?. LOL.