Ink tips

Discussion in 'Axiotron Modbook' started by wallywld, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wallywld

wallywld Pen Pal - Newbie

2. wallywld

Here are the few I've collected:

Cursor offset:
    The most annoying thing for me when using a Tablet PC and the Modbook is the slight offset that is always present between the cursor and the tip of the pen. My usual fix is to hide the cursor. For this purpose I installed "Cursorcerer" http://doomlaser.com/cursorcerer-hide-your-cursor-at-will/ a utility to hide the cursor and which helps greatly because it allows me to focus on the tip of the pen. The utility is not perfect, but did the trick for me.

Write large words - In general, I try to write in the ink window so that capitals are as large as two lines and lowercase one line high. It's also important to make the caps markedly bigger than the lowercase.

Write more words at a time - For some reason, the recognition seems to work better when there are more words to recognize.

Write t's and h's as separate letters and do not combine them otherwise it tends to mis-interpret them making the word better read "beHer"

Use QuickClicks as a conduit.
    Another cool trick is a way to use ink even in apps that don't accept it. The trick is to set the transparency of the Quickclicks keyboard very low and start writing inside (read on top of the keyboard). This forces the text to go through the keyboard program and be entered into whatever app has focus. Use the smallest keyboard you can so that it doesn't interfere too much.

Here's another tip... If you have a mistyped word and you set the front switch on the pen to be the control key, you can quickly correct a word by just clicking on it with the button depressed. The OS will put up some choices right under the cursor for you.

Ligatures don't work well, so if you're used to combining the t and h in "the" when you write, it doesn't work well at all. Separating the letters works much better. I don't write in cursive at all, so I can't tell you how well that works, but it used to work pretty well on the Newton.

Add your tips and tricks here as you find them...

3. wallywld

4. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

Great little movies Wally!

but AHHHHHHHH -- you're just making me want to try things more! I'm so anxious to get the darn thing! :)

5. thenewkasanova

thenewkasanova Pen Pal - Newbie

wallywld, please post more videos! I love them!

6. wallywld

I'll try to post a movie as I paint my next painting.

7. Ronny

Ronny Pen Pal - Newbie

Axiotron has a forum thread in which they are talking about a new/different handwriting technology preview they had on their booth at MacWorld. Apparently it's called "MyScript" and is from Vision Objects.

Was anyone there and tried it? Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. Ken P.

Ken P. Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried MyScript at MacWorld. My handwriting is exceptionally poor, but it did a fair job. It did much better than InkWell, though, and attends to cusive as well as several languages.

9. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie