Ink "jumping" with erasing

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by sonrisa, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonrisa

sonrisa Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had my T4220 for one semester of school now, and I absolutely love taking notes on it, except for one problem I've been having with OneNote.

Some of my professors have Word document outlines of lecture material. I have been copying and pasting the text from Word into OneNote so that I can add space and highlight text. However, many times when I erase or scratch out something, my inking or the text will "jump" a few cm on the page messing up the alignment of everything. It's highly annoying to have my ink end up on top of the text or some such.

I've tried breaking the outlines up into smaller pages, and it still happens.

I don't seem to have much of a problem if I use the print to OneNote feature and have the outlines inserted as a background image. When I do that, I can't highlight or move the text though, and for some classes, I'd really like to be able to do that.

Anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions? Maybe I should use a different note taking software? I haven't really looked at anything but OneNote.

2. lavenderpup

lavenderpup T4220 Owner

do you set the 'page' to auto or a4 [etc]?
    For example, I print off to Onenote and there's several pages within in one 'page'. That can be annotated, however when it gets restricted to the area of a4, it can only be drawn there.

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The truth is that OneNote is the best note taking program available, even with all the bugs and quirks it has, sadly.

I think I know this problem. If I ink a few lines and delete a line or something for OneNote similar to a line then the half of the ink jumps a few cm up.

My solution for the problem is:
    - I mostly only use the stroke eraser if I want to delete something.
    - If I select a lot ink with the lasso and delete it then I have to be careful. If you select the ink you sometimes can see at the beginning of the ink-line a line-height small rectangle. If you now delete the selected ink, OneNote often does the false thing. But if you select your ink without this rectangle, which is possible, then OneNote does the right thing, often.
    - If you delete the ink after selecting it with the lasso or if you want to resize the container and OneNote does this crappy thing, then it is also possible to insert a few "return keys" at the end or beginning of a ink-line without changing the layout ;) After that is done and OneNote is too slow to remove the inserted returns and intelligent enough to leave it then it is possible to remove the ink without changing the layout, often.

Another option would be printing it as PDF and annotating it with PDF annotator or PDF Revue.

4. Hipp0

Hipp0 Pen Pal - Newbie

In OneNote 2010 this bug is making OneNote 2010 impossible to use. Not only my handwriting jumps on one page, it jumps across the whole section, ruining it. I just lost so much work with it... I have to correct every page now, where it jumped and text from different handwritten paragraphs overlayed on each other, meaning I can't just select and move it, I have to erase and rewrite it from scratch. Conclusion:
    DO NOT BUY ONENOTE 2010. It will destroy your handwriting.
    I'm reverting to OneNote 2007 this minute.

Added:
    Testing possible solution now (untick "automatic switching" in options). Will tell u the result asap.

Added:
    No, it still jumps: on clicking undo, or writing, switching pens etc... Going back to 2007, which doesn't jump as often.

I uploaded a video of this bug here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em8tRGQz6yA
    And this is what happens to my notes:
    http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/1462/summaries.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Lat

Lat Pen Pal - Newbie

Yup, I'm pretty screwed over because of this...all my notes out the window :mad:

[​IMG]

6. kirin

kirin Pen Pal - Newbie

If it makes you feel better, it happens to me very often in OneNote 2007 also.

Wish there was a way for you to turn off auto alignment.

It happened so much to me when I wanted to annotate my PDF's of textbooks, I was forced to use PDF-revu. When I tried to add a tag on my pdf with OneNote, it would push the whole pdf page down. Drove me crazy.

I now much more prefer the pdf bookmarking ability of PDF-revu -- much more clean and organized.

For basic note taking I still hang on to OneNote, and try not to move things around too much.

kirin

7. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

If you printed a PDF to Onenote, it is seen as a picture. Then when adding a tag it is placing one picture out of the way for another picture. To prevent this, right click on the document so that it is selected and then select "set picture as background". Then you can tag away. In Onenote 2010 I don't seem to always need to set it to the background, but it helps to plant the document as part of the "paper".

8. kirin

kirin Pen Pal - Newbie

Scuba, thats an awesome tip!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.