Initial impressions of Windows 8.1 Preview on the ASUS ME400C

Discussion in 'Asus' started by rockhunter, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockhunter

rockhunter Pen Pal - Newbie

Installing the Microsoft patch to the Windows 8 Store that enables installing Windows 8.1 Preview from the store worked very smoothly. When installed in this fashion it behaves as an update and leaves most MI and desktops apps installed and ready run. The down side is that the desktop environment has been been weakened, it seems to behave more like a MI full screen app then the Win7 environment. Norton 360 is not compatible, a Beta version of 360 will install but not all functions are functional and the IE version in Win8.1 will not install the Norton toolbar or several other packages that were enabled on the desktop version of IE on Win8. Battery Bar runs but does not report battery level or status, etc. and there is no battery icon on the taskbar It is obvious that the desktop has had its security behavior significantly changed some desktop apps may not access the internet as they did under Win8, isolation and communication between apps seems to have been tightened. My initial overall impression for my use is that there are limited improvements and some significant steps backward from Windows 8. Recovering Windows 8 may look at future release of Windows 8.1.

2. glen8

glen8 Pen Pal - Newbie

I only bought the tablet on Saturday but pretty much instantly (after making a recovery stick) wiped all partitions and did a fresh install of 8.1 preview.

Had zero problems. Basically installed the OS, installed the driver package, did all windows updates (inc optional ones). Not had any issues at all. It's super fast and I think the features are great :)

Loving the new apps (especially the store and xbox music)

3. tgwallbank

tgwallbank Pen Pal - Newbie

@glen8
    I'd be interested to hear what your take is on this incompatibility statement from MS regarding the Atom processor given your apparent success on installing 8.1. I have the tf810c which presumably is similar regarding internals?

4. glen8

glen8 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have no idea

all I can tell you is what I have experienced so far

There's isn't a single thing not working. Device Manager has all the drivers, Graphics working without issue, I even noticed yesterday Asus released a Windows 8 Camera app

I've used it for the past two days now. I've had the processor maxed out streaming an HD movie through silverlight and even that was problem free. Sleep works as it should, the screen dims after 4 minutes which is the default behavior, wifi signal is strong, bluetooth works, screen orientation works etc etc

I'd be interested to hear from people who have had problems though

I didn't really used the tablet straight out the box. It was pretty much a case of creating a recovery stick and then removing all partitions to install a fresh build of 8.1 The ONLY thing which happend just before I formatted everything was that it did a BIOS update.

on a side note, im incredibly inpressed with the tablet as a whole. How they can build something like this for £300 beats me. It's fantastic!

Happy to upload a youtube video showing the Asus on 8.1 in action if anyone is interested?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  5. glen8

glen8 Pen Pal - Newbie

Windows 8.1 Preview isn't currently supported on some tablets and PCs
    Windows 8.1 Preview isn't currently supported on some tablets and PCs with newer 32-bit Atom processors, including:

Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2
    ASUS VivoTab TF810C
    Samsung ATIV Smart PC
    HP ElitePad 900
    HP ENVY x2
    Fujitsu ARROWS Tab

What seems strange is that both the ME400C and TF810C use the Atom Z2760 processor?

What happens when you try to install 8.1?

6. glen8

glen8 Pen Pal - Newbie

7. nnjwy

nnjwy Pen Pal - Newbie

I would love a youtube video, Please

8. nnjwy

nnjwy Pen Pal - Newbie

Where did you get the iso file from????

9. vfrmaverick

vfrmaverick Pen Pal - Newbie

Well right off the bat I noticed 2 bugs. First one being the battery missing, which you just have to uninstall the driver and reinstall but it will go away when reboot. And the other being that in vb4 forums the touch keyboard goes crazy flicking in and out. And sometimes the scrollbar seems stuck.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  10. vfrmaverick

vfrmaverick Pen Pal - Newbie

Fixed the keyboard issue. Apparently you need to log out then back in on some sites.