Indoor/Outdoor Touch Panel and Pen Firmware Update

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by in4mer, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

2. in4mer

For those who may have trouble installing the firmware, I have attached some instructions as the build from the website it not working.

The build doesn't work so you need to manually create a bootdisk.

I have the same problem with you with the touch not working near the edges. I cannot close maximized windows.

Creating Manual USB Boot KEY to Install Touch Firmware

before you begin check what panel you have using hp's instructions, if it starts with sec, you have a samsung panel, if it begins with boe you have a hydis panel [per runningcode]

1. HP EliteBook 2740p Tablet PC- Indoor/Outdoor Touch Panel and Pen Firmware Update - HP Business Support Center

2. Copy all of the files to a folder on your desktop and name the folder FW.

3. Create a bootable usb key with HP USB Formatting Tool. You can get it here. HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - v2.1.8 Download - EXTREME Overclocking

4. Download win98se bootdisk. You can download from bootdisk.com but you'll need to either have a computer with a floppy OR a virtual floppy, which I can't find one that works for windows 64bit. You need to extract the files into a folder or something and use them to make your usb floppy with the above tool OR just copy to your usb boot drive. (You also need to reveal protected windows files to copy hidden files as well but if you use the tool above, you should be fine)

5.Copy all the files from FW into your bootable USB key.

6. Restart the computer and boot from your USB key.

7. Run all the *.BAT and *.EXE. One of them will actually update your firmware. I forgot which one! :p

That's the best I can do with a half working build.

Let me know if that'll fix your problem.

IMPORTANT

You need to install WITHOUT the docking station. It might mess up something.

3. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

interesting because they just yesterday provided me with a similar firmware update for the 2730p's display...

4. runningcode

runningcode Pen Pal - Newbie

im going to try to clarify these instructions a bit

before you begin check what panel you have using hp's instructions, if it starts with sec, you have a samsung panel, if it begins with boe you have a hydis panel

then
    download the exe from hp. open up that exe with 7zip or winrar and copy the files from the rompaq folder to the root of your bootable usb drive.

press esc then f9 during boot and
    type sam.bat if you have a samsung panel, and hydis.bat if you have a hydis one

5. in4mer

Thanks for that!

I was playing around and running them all and I think it updated the pen firmware as well. Damn HP need to make sure this thing works before deploying.

Also, it DOESN'T APPEAR to fix the touch "dead spots" located approximately 2 cm away from the top. Not cool. The pen is able to reach there.

6. runningcode

yeah, this update didn't fix anything for me. i still can't calibrate the display properly because the last 4 points during calibration don't register as touches. i also noticed some odd rotation behavior. i don't know if it is related to the patch or not. hopefully i can duplicate it. i guess i'll just have to wait for the next patch.

7. guysurf

guysurf Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my new 2740p with Hydis Outdoor panel some days ago.
    I applied the firmware update immediately but...

Te touch is not recognized after a suspension/resume.
    The calibration of pen digitized is not accurate: in primary landscape the screen work better witout calibration, in other orientation the pen position is not recognized well in any way...

Any idea?

8. in4mer

You need to look up the windows hotfix for that hibernation issue.

9. runningcode

i get this same thing, pre and post patch, and every time. the only way i can calibrate is if i make the touch point more towards the center of the screen which of course isn't a proper calibration.

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

This is totally unacceptable! More than one of us needs to contact HP. Get someone to listen, and ask if you can email him/her this thread. It is completely fixable, particularly if it calibrates fine with the pen. Fujitsus don't appear to have this problem and they use the same hdwe (and WACOM drivers), and I don't think Lenovos do either. This is a driver issue and it can be fixed.

For the time being, I am recommending against the 2740 to people who ask my advice about buying a tablet. I wish it wasn't so, but as great as the design is, constant functional problems make it hard to recommend. But to all who own - and I am one, but I will likely RMA it, take heart because this issue will be fixed. It just shouldn't be so hard to love a $1,700 computer. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.