In the process of pulling the trigger on the T7200 myself

Discussion in 'Asus' started by yogi, Nov 6, 2006.

1. yogi

yogi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone
    Well I'm sick and tired of waiting here in Sweden. After reading a post about ordering the R1F from notebook.de, I contacted the company and asked a couple of questions. They do deliver the Tablet with a German keyboard and can send me the swedish keyboard in 3 weeks time. The Swedish keyboard will cost 60 Euros.

What do you guys thing, should I pull the trigger? There will not be any additional costs involved except shipping, which stands at 30 Euros incl 16 % VAT. In Addition, I'll get the T7200 instead of the T5600. In Sweden the T5600 costs the same as the T7200 from notebook.de (excl the shipping).

How hard is it to change a keyboard? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Well guys send your thoughts on this. My fingers are itching real bad right now, literary hovering over the order button on the website ;)

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Go for it.

It's a great machine and getting the 7200 would be sweet.

Since there's a global warranty, even if you have a problem you can get it looked at locally.

Replacing the keyboard is not something I've looked at. I can tell you that on a Compaq laptop, there are clips between some of the keys and to remove the keyboard out takes 10 seconds. I don't see the clips on the R1F.

The R1F manual is on-line at the Asus site, there should be some information in there for you. I doubt it would be a difficult exercise.

Edit: I took a closer look at the keyboard and I do see clips (above the number row ). Since I'm in the middle of building a ppt, I don't have time to experiment, but now I am confident it would be an easy thing to do.

3. yogi

yogi Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanx for the speedy reply alphaswift. Well I called the dealer (not looking forward to receiving my mobile telephone bill;) ) and the guy I talked to said that it's no harder that loosening two screws. What I'm worried about is potential flex after changing the keyboard.
    Well as you said alphaswift, if I run into any problem I could just send it to the local service center.

Anyone else want to put their two cents in? :)

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you are careful about reinstalling the new keyboard properly, there should be no "added" flex. I would only install the new keyboard yourself if you feel like you can do it exactly right. Otherwise you could perhaps go to an authorized service center to have it done just right.

5. yogi

yogi Pen Pal - Newbie

Will probably do just that.

Thanx Barry

6. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

Yogi,

As long as it WILL be available at some point - then you'll be able to get a keyboard for the unit without much problem at all from the local Asus... and they're easy to change... If you ever have a question about it when you go to do it, feel free to drop me an email and I'll work you through it.

7. yogi

yogi Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanx mate, thats really nice off you:) . I'll keep you apprised of how things go. I'll call the local support center tomorrow and ask them about availability and price of a Swedish keyboard. If it's around the same price I'll get it here instead. But man are they a lot cheaper in Germany.....

Well thanx again

8. woutervegter

woutervegter Pen Pal - Newbie

which website/company offered you to send you the swedish version of the keyboard?

because i'm in exactly the same situation as you are, except for that i live in the netherlands

how does a swedish keyboard look like?
    like this?
    http://www.e-tech.nu/producten/1309_highres.jpg

9. noskill

noskill Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. yogi

yogi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey woutervegter, the site is http://notebook.de/. Ya, Noskill you were thinking of getting the R1F from Germany too? I talked with them on the telephone yesterday. Probably call them and place the order via telephone, the option of ordering another keyboard isn't available on the website so you'll have to specify that in a email, I might as well do it over the phone just to make sure that no miscommunication occurs.