In need of tool to draw in PDF files

Discussion in 'Software' started by andymkthxlol, Aug 31, 2009.

1. andymkthxlol

andymkthxlol Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a lot of professors who put their class power point notes in PDF format and I was wondering if there was a program that I could use in order to draw on the PDF files. I have foxit, a freeware program but I can only type on the PDF files.

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

• Adobe Acrobat (with Auto-Ink Plug-In for smooth ink) (too expensive)
      Acrobat has basic pen support with poor ink support. With this expensive Auto-Ink plugin you get smooth ink, still the options are limited, especially for such a high price.
    • Bluebeam PDF Revu (149 USD, 60-75 USD educational)
      There's also a long thread about PDF Revu in this forum: Bluebeam PDF Revu
      Tries to replace Acrobat, contains a PDF printer and has many PDF editing features, has tablet friendly tools, smooth ink support, text recognition, ...
      It slow downs with too many markups, which can be solved if you flatten the PDF document.
    • Grahl PDF Annotator (70 USD, 30 USD educational)
      Smooth ink, good interface, few options.
      Saves ink as picture layer if you open the PDF with other PDF viewers, no text recognition, problems with huge files and other smaller bugs. Else it's a great software for smaller annotation jobs.
    • Jarnal (Open source)
      Ink support is poor, but for casual annotations it's sufficient.

The other option is to reduce the pages of the PDF document to image files and then import them to OneNote or Windows Journal. All this is done automatically with the appropriate printer, but you'll lose quality and you'll get huge files sizes.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

If you're asking PDF Annotation tools, Bluebeam revu & Grahl PDF annotator are the most likely candidates which will get recommended by folks here.

But the problem is they're aren't freeware. :mad:

4. andymkthxlol

andymkthxlol Scribbler - Standard Member

Sad. I guess I am just going to have to go the typing route, which isn't a problem. I just wanted to get more use out of my tablet.

Thanks for the quick and informative responses.

5. brvdboss

brvdboss Scribbler - Standard Member

PDF Annotator isn't that expensive if you get the educational license. And you will get more out of your tablet. (although some may prefer PDF Revu.
    Furthermore, you can currently get another $8USD discount if you use the couponcode BACK2SCHOOL.
    See http://www.grahl-software.com/en/pdfannotator/back2school.php

The code should work for the regular licenses as well.

6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

just try the PDF Annotator trial, it's really not expensive for students.
    If you like it buy it.

If you really don't want to spend money try Jarnal, maybe it's sufficient for you.

PDF Revu has much more features, but if you don't need them and don't want to spend a bit more money then better get the less expensive alternatives.
    Acrobat, well, this option is only good for people which have bought Acrobat already and want better ink support.

7. R1C47

R1C47 Scribbler - Standard Member

I think Foxit Reader has drawing tools.

8. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

They suck, but they've announced plans for a new solution.

9. roadblock2thesun

roadblock2thesun Pen Pal - Newbie

My trial of BlueBeam PDF revu just expired, so I downloaded PDF-Annotator... I love it. The interface isnt as slick and it doesnt have as many tools for things like cad markup but for reading books and papers, it has everything. A major factor for me is also speed. PDF-Annotator is a much smaller piece of software and loads up much faster.

Bluebeam came with a pdf printer, to convert files from whatever format to pdf, in my opinion it was not very good. There is a free program called CutePDF writer that I think works much better.

Good luck

10. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

CutePDF is great. I paid for the full version years ago and still use it very often.

I like PDFAnnotator a lot, but it's really slow to open large pdfs and annotations don't print well. I believe the reason for both problems is that it uses bitmaps for annotations instead of vector graphics.