In 2019, What is the Best N-Trig/MPP Pen?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by sonichedgehog360, Oct 10, 2019.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Thank you for that write up. I came here to say I bought the current gen Surface Pro pen. Since I have a case on my Surface Pro with a pen clip slot to hold the pen, is there an attachment that will give the new Pro pen a clip(seriously why did they remove it)?

2. bloodycape

I got the new SP pen yesterday in the mail. 24 hours in so far really liking it. Right now took the 2H nib that was on the SP4 pen on to this & prefer it for writing. It could be a placebo effect, but something about it feels nicer. I am back to using the pen more.

Marty and darkmagistric like this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The 2H nib because of its size/weight has the lowest IAF of all the nibs. One thing to keep in mind, even though they look similar enough, the Pro 4's nibs are different from the Pro 5's nibs. With the 2H nib especially, even though the Pro 4's 2H nib looks virtually identical to the Pro 5's 2H nib (just the placement of the red color being different) the actual feeling of writing with them is different as well. Still similar enough, but different enough to notice.

bloodycape likes this.
  4. bloodycape

Wait there is a sp5 nib kit too? I didn't know that as the SP4 fits & works. My SP4 pen came with the kit, but SP5 didn't(both open box models).

5. darkmagistric

The Pro 4 pen tip kit came with the pro 4 pen, but where as the Pro 5 pen became a separate purchase, so too did the nib kit. (Microsoft just loves nickel and diming us for it.

The Pro 5 nib kit only has 3 nibs and it doesn't have the nib removal tool built in like the Pro 4's nib kit.

The nibs are fully interchangeable, but for a brief period I lost my pen with my lone 2H Nib. I found the Pro 5 nib kit cheap off ebay and plunked down to get another 2H nib. Found the old pen right after the nib kit was delivered. I assumed it was just a re-release/rebranding of the Pro 4 nibs, but using both the Pro 4 2H and the Pro 5 2H back and forth, its a def different feeling.

bloodycape likes this.
  6. bloodycape

Which 2H do you prefer? I take you are using it mainly for art & not note taking?

7. darkmagistric

Yep, I use it primarily for art. I'm more or less moved to the Slim pen, but I have 2 Pro 5 pens, one with the HB nib for lineart/Drawing, and the other with 2H nib for Coloring.

I prefer the Pro 5 2H nib over the Pro 4 one, the different surface feeling I was talking about I think is actually from the change in shape of the actual nib's tip. I took a picture with the Pro 5 2H nib and the Pro 4 2H nib in each of my Pro 5 pens.

Pro 5 2H is on the left, and the Pro 4 2H is on the right. You can clearly see the difference in how they shaped it.

20200915_160750_compress51.jpg

Marty and bloodycape like this.