In 2019, What is the Best N-Trig/MPP Pen?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by sonichedgehog360, Oct 10, 2019.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I looked up the price for the slim pen & it's a bit up there. Also not a fan of the lack of a pen clip, like the older models have. I have an Incipio case for my SP5 that the right size for the SP3/4 pen clip to slot in & really convenient. Was too small with the original Wacom Bamboo Ink(which stopped working for me). Maybe just go with the Raphael(price is right) as my SP4 pen might be acting up as I don't like how the SP3 pen for note taking as much the others I have.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Maybe just go with the Raphael...>>

The Raphael definitely felt better to me than the standard Surface Pen in terms of "feel in the hand" and in terms of its pressure curve behavior. However, some users apparently feel that the pen falls asleep too quickly. You just need a brief press on the pen switch to wake it back up, though. If you're simply looking for a pen that feels a little better, you'll probably like the Raphael...

3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I am more so looking for a new pen that will work after my Wacom pen took a swim(my fault) & stopped working & my Sp4 pen is acting up(got it around the time it came out to use with my S3).

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hey @bloodycape, sorry for the long delay in reply. So I actually don't own the Slim Pen (aka SPX pen). I was debating for long while whether to get one, but ultimately decided against it because the price is quite hefty ($180 CAD! :eek:) and @desertlap mentioned the possibility of new MPP tech hitting the Neo in late 2020.

However, having tried out the SPX pen in-store, I can say it is a definite improvement to the SP5, and very different in feel from the VAIO pen. How I describe it as it feels like using graphite, because has a very slight mushiness on touch down (similar to SP5 pen) but is combined with a gentle pressure ramp, which feels more naturalistic for shading/brushwork.

[​IMG]

The VAIO pen feels more like using a mechanical pencil or g-pen, because the tip has almost no give pushing down, but does have a slight side-to-side allowance. This gives it a more rigid quality, and with physical tip also slimmer, so it is nice for precise line work and inks.

[​IMG]

Both feel good actually, the SPX pen on glass (and probably almost any other surface too), and the VAIO pen when paired with a matte screen protector.

Lilawyn and bloodycape like this.
  5. SpartaIsTheBoi

SpartaIsTheBoi Pen Pal - Newbie

so I've received the Raphael pen and I'm very happy with it, lines are smooth and the pressure is very nice, my surface pro 7 is now useful.

Attached Files:

Lilawyn likes this.
  6. Steve S

7. SpartaIsTheBoi

a sheepdog?

8. Steve S

Never mind; there was just something about your user name that seemed familiar.

9. SpartaIsTheBoi

haha no not me i'm new to the forum