Improvements you want in Apple pencil?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by siddhartth, Oct 19, 2016.

?

Who wants an Apple stylus with a thinner tip?

1. yes

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. no

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. If it was possible then Apple would have done it already

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Doesn't matter if it becomes the perfect Stylus, iOS Desktop class full Adobe and OneNote

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. thickness is ok but it's just too slippery

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. both thickness and Slipperiness are a problem

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Is MS Paint really that good, or is that just sarcasm that flew over my head?

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

It was likely an attempt at sarcasm, having said that Microsoft has actually updated Paint quietly and it isn't bad at all, much more versatile than the basic pixel manipulator it used to be.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You would think I would recognize sarcasm better than most.

4. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

It was not sarcasm. In 2000s, Microsoft paint was the only thing available to me to retouch photos pixel by pixel. then with XP came picture manager. I did not have internet access prior to 2010-2011. Photoshop was only limited to professional photo studios, It was not a domestic item.

Marty and dstrauss like this.
  5. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know for sure what the IAF of the Pencil is?

Based on my limited experience with it, it feels about the same as the Pro Pen with Cintiq, which is apparently about 1 gram.

The new Surface Pen IAF is 9 grams, which is disappointing.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    siddhartth and WillAdams like this.
  6. siddhartth

After watching the New Surface pro event, only question on my mind was - when is Samsung galaxybook coming to India with it's less than 1 gram IAF and scan rate of 300Hz.

I was disappointed with the Surface Pro release over all but few things irked me the most-
    • At 9 grams IAF and 130 Hz scan rate Ntrig has achieved parity with 10 year old wacom tech. With an IAF that high, the tilt fiction will not be near as much fun to use as in Apple pencil.
    • There is still a surface "pro" line and that's stupid. I was hoping they will make a lower end version of Surface book with just battery and typekeys (no computing parts) in the keyboard dock. Because, let's admit $135 is too expensive for a slightly less than optimal typing experience (typecover), especially when you have achieved near perfection with Surfacebook key board.
    • A 11" Simple "surface" with complimentary type cover and without "pro" suffix.
    • No larger 15" behemoth Surfacebook 15.
    • I cringed when Panos said "warm alcantara" - i live in a hot country. Warm is not inviting it's repulsive. My wrists crave for the cool magnesium alloyed aluminium of surfacebook keyboard. Which windows insider or reviewer told them it's a good idea to put unwanted alcantara on top of an accessory to make it even more expensive than it already is? I bet they imagined a problem which no body has.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    COGBABY likes this.
  7. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your response. I shouldn't discuss Surface too much in this thread.

Look forward to seeing what improvements Apple might announce for the Pencil next week.

As others have said, a grippier barrel, a cursor for more precision, and a more practical charging method would be good.

Maybe a case that has a slot for the Pencil and charges it while it's stowed.

I think it's pretty remarkable what they did with the Pencil. For me personally it's been the only inspiring Apple product for a long time. A consumer company pitching something straight at artists and mostly succeeding IMHO.

I'm losing my faith in tablet PCs and will consider the next iPad Pro iteration.

I think it's iOS that needs to improve, more so than the hardware.

8. siddhartth

Don't give up so soon. Apple pencil was the absolute best stylus till 2016. But with arrival of the New EMR, there's nothing left to improve in the digital stylus universe. Except may be for the friction and texture while writing on display. The samsung Galaxybook is the best windows handwriting tablet evermade for general consumers. I doubt the advances that Apple will be make in It's pencil. Wacom knows how to stay miles ahead. And Samsung knows how to get the most out of it's partners like Wacom and Microsoft. Buying an ipadpro just forthe handwriting experience could be a mistake at this point, because it's no more the best at it. You must really like iOS to justify that purchase.l

COGBABY and Aman like this.
  9. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

Haven't tried the latest EMR. Got Galaxy Note 4 and Cintiq Companion 2. Mobile Studio Pro machines don't look very mobile. Galaxy Book looks nice and mobile but not so powerful.

As for iOS, I haven't used it since version 7. As it stands, it really limits what iPad Pro can do. Will find out next week if Apple adds any iPad Pro-specific features.

Would be great if Apple could give the display a more paper-like feel.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Aman likes this.
  10. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

Regarding Paper Like feel ,I guess it might just happen mostly with the next generation of iPad Pro,that is exactly what Apple might want as Apple very much focusses on how products feel to use.

Also the iPad Pro has a very efficient processing performance and the next gen next year should be even much much powerful.

Whether Apple will be successful in making it almost laptop like anytime soon is yet to be seen and the new files App is the indication of that direction

However iOS 11 as it is now still cannot really replace laptops for most people yet.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    COGBABY likes this.