Improvements you want in Apple pencil?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by siddhartth, Oct 19, 2016.

?

Who wants an Apple stylus with a thinner tip?

1. yes

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. no

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. If it was possible then Apple would have done it already

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Doesn't matter if it becomes the perfect Stylus, iOS Desktop class full Adobe and OneNote

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. thickness is ok but it's just too slippery

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. both thickness and Slipperiness are a problem

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

Is everybody completely satisfied with their Apple pencil?
    My 3 problems with it,
    1. Too thick nib - Engineering challenge
    2. Too slippery - Easy problem
    3. EDIT - Abnormal weight distribution - Engineering Challenge
    4. No eraser - Engineering challenge
    Here is the sister thread about improvement request in Surface Pen
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/next-gen-surface-pen-and-digitizer-wish-list-i-hope-we-all-can-agree-on-somethe-in-the-end.71008/
    And a question-
    Can i charge it from a lightning to lightning cable one end in the iPad other in the pencil? In other words -

iPad pro--- lightning male---cable---lightning female--- pencil

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I want it less slippery
    I want a less insane charging method
    I want a lower cost
    I want less-fragile tips
    I want it to register strokes only when it actually touches the screen..

siddhartth likes this.
  3. siddhartth

You ok with the 2mm wide tip that pencil has?

Lower cost is only possible with a eraser enabled pen.
    Would you like a pliable lightning to lightning cable that connecting Apple pencil to ipad so that
    1. It can write while charging?
    2. No fear of breaking any lightning port or pencil.
    I am not sure if your last wish is even possible. the effortless capacitive inking is a decision worth the anticipated side effect that you describe. May be second generation will improve on this.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm fine with the actual tip. I forgot all about the eraser. Yes, please add an eraser. As for charging, I don't have a solution, other than 'Wacom EMR' i.e. no battery/capacitor at all.

5. siddhartth

Please cast your vote.
    I hope Apple introduces a miniaturised cheaper version of Apple pencil, Apple pen
    • plain old pressure sensitivity and
    • no tilt recognition and
    • an added eraser.

Pencil will be for artists, Pen for note taking.

But one thing i m sure of aft seeing iFixit video, that the circuit board inside can not be miniaturised enough to allow placement inside a silo.

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I actually ended liking the charging method. :D
    First I started using the adapter and plugging it to the chord, then I came to the conclusion it's useless: it charges so fast I just plug it to the ipad, put it down the table, take a coffee and when I'm back it's charged and ready to use.

7. YVerloc

YVerloc Pen Pal - Newbie

Fine with the width of the tip, fine with the slipperyness.

1. Don't like how the tip is attached. It takes less than 1/8 of a twist to loosen the tip on mine, which makes it impossible to carry loose in my bag as the tip will always fall off and the barrel of the pencil/pressure assembly will fill up with sand and crumbs and the other crud in the bottom of my bag. I still carry mine around in it's little slidey-box.

2. hate the charging tang and cap. Never feels like it's securely slotted into my ipad when charging - alway droops down and breaks the connection. The cap is fiddly and easily losable.

Other than that love it. Love the pressure dynamics, love the 'zero' force initial activation, love the size and weight. Don't want buttons or an eraser. Don't want a skinnier tip. Don't care how it's charged so long as it's not by the little tab at the end and sticking out of my ipad like a dead branch.

8. siddhartth

I take it you too are fine with the Slipperiness. Are you?

9. siddhartth

Is that a compromise? Or you really really prefer the current thickness of the pencil. And even the Slipperiness? I initially hated the extruded rubber tip on my Surface pen, felt a bit of drag that slowed me a little but 3days in, the skin oils make the surface sufficiently slippery. And rubber tip still offered control without causing any drag. It's like writing on Japanese paper.

That sounds very problematic, very un-Apple. Must be irritating.

There has to be a smarter way. I can think of twist and reveal sort of thing that is so commonly seen on so many pens. It can be on the side of barrel, it can be on the top. Such mechanisms are also seen in talcum powder cans and Salt and pepper shakers.

That's my main attraction towards Apple pencil. It might not be important for art but it's so much important for prolonged handwriting. And definitely for calligraphy.

I have heard the weight is abnormal. It's top heavy, which makes it weird to hold. Or is that exaggerated. I prefer nb heavy pens. Or atleast evenly distributed pens.

I understand that you don't want it, but will you be against it?

I have to ask here, based on your preferences, are you an artist? You sound like one. Handwriters, calligraphers prefer non slippery interaction and finer nibs.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  10. YVerloc

YVerloc Pen Pal - Newbie

Artist, yeah. And yeah, I would be against a skinnier tip, by which I mean I wouldn't buy a skinnier version if the current version were also available.

Why? A larger contact pad with the screen surface gives me better feedback regarding the mechanical pressure I'm applying. As I press harder, that big fat footprint drags on the stroke and slows the pen down, and vice versa when I lightning my touch. I don't get the same rich dynamics off my Wacom nib.

A fatter nib would have better stroke dynamics, but at the expense of precision. And again, vice versa- a more precise nib has (in my experience), more skittish dynamics. I think the Apple Pencil is a pretty good trade off, and prefer it in this respect to my Wacom gear.

Keep in mind that drawing, and hence drawing precision, isn't really the standard art paradigm. Most traditional art tools are unwieldy. A big fat stick of charcoal is hardly precise, but it has rich dynamics and hence a lot of expressive power. When I paint I spend most of my time banging around with a two inch wide chisel brush. A fine tipped draughtsman's pencil isn't a good model for a general purpose art tool.

siddhartth likes this.