Improved Pencil 2 To Debut?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Steve S, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Where did you get that?
    I'm looking for ram info but I can't find anything.

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Azzart likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Considering the 1TB Models will be hitting $1500+.....that's very disappointing if they only end up getting the higher Ram allotment.

And given how these are going to be the iPads to debut iOS Photoshop CC....you'd think Apple would have just bumped the whole iPad Pro line to 8GB....my 9.7 inch Pro as is.....I bump the 2GB Ram limit constantly in Medibang Paint, (and formerly Clip Studio). When hardcore Photoshop users try opening their 1GB+ size Desktop PSD files on the Ipad Pro....(no doubt unaware of the ram limitations since Apple doesn't advertise it)….it could end up being a poor choice for Apple & Adobe in the long run. Unless they've added an iOS equivalent to windows scratch disks.

As far as the Ipad Pros themselves.....love the USB C....and the new Magnetic Pen looks to be a sufficient improvement from the charging perspective anyway.

However I am upset that they didn't refresh the iPad Mini....at a more Attractive Price point it could be been the real star had they given it apple pencil support. But no update at all for us.

Zdnet is also reporting that the New Ipads won't support the old Pencil. Given how the new pencil can only be charged via the new iPad and the new iPad doesn't have the lightning port to charge the old one....I can somewhat understand their rational in doing that.

But I do wonder if the Pen tech itself has any changes. The Apple Pencil gen 1 was a rather unique Combination of ES Pen tech and Bluetooth.....and yet it worked way better then most ES/Ntrig based Pens right from Gen 1.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    siddhartth likes this.
  4. Azzart

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hmm.

2nd Gen iPad Pro with bigger bezels or even the 2018 iPad 9.7 with 1st Gen pencil looking more and more attractive. Bezels to help me keep greasy hands off the screen and a round pencil with no edges to give me a callous from extended drawing and holding the new version.
    I had high hopes for the 2018 iPad Pro but I'm asking myself what is there that truly makes it worth over £600 more than the 2018 9.7 iPad.

Probably just me. :confused:

siddhartth and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. Azzart

The size your canvas can be?

7. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hard to argue against a 2nd gen iPad Pro then.

They will drop in price as stores try to shift them. Recently a major electricals retailer in the UK dropped the Samsung Galaxy Book 12 to €728.14. All sold out now but for those wanting it - it was a great deal and gave you a full OS. (Rubbish keyboard apparently)

My son worked at this company and he was selling off 1st gen iPad Pros two years ago at less than half the price of the new 2nd gen. I just feel this is a missed opportunity compared to the steps Microsoft has taken with the Surface Pro line in less time.

8. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Would be nice to have 6gb ram in IPP to run Photoshop, but at $1750.00...?

Without access to a proper file system, xcode support, and actual mulit-window support (Like what EVERY OTHER OS does..) that is one large and expensive iphone.

But....

Touch w gestures and Pencil seems outstanding in Clip Studio Paint compared to other OS, so I expect PS to be the same, so that is an improvement.

I am not going to buy one w/o proper multi window and full file access, full stop. The competitors may not be as fast but still fast enough and have a fully featured OS, yes even Chrome, IMHO is better.

This article reflects that issue:

https://www.pcmag.com/commentary/364691/can-usb-c-and-photoshop-make-the-ipad-a-pc

Apple can keep saying how fast it is, blah blah blah, w/o iOS multitasking it is limited to being a peripheral and not a replacement. Apple talks about productivity but nearly killed off the Mac Pro, and now trying to sell replacement devices that lack fundamental productivity features. Utter BS.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  9. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

I just wish Android had a version of the Art Authority application. For me that's always been the iPad's main draw.

artistebot likes this.
  10. Neve

Neve Pen Pal - Newbie

+1 The updates so far are nice and all, but I really just want to know if the weight on the end is as prominent as it was with the first Pencil.

I used the Pencil all of two days before it gave my hand painful hand cramps. The moment I switched to any of my EMR pens, the pain went away every time. At first I thought it was just maybe not taking enough breaks, but it literally happened after a few minutes of use...

I'm hoping with the new magnetic charging they got rid of the heavy battery because, at the moment, it's just not usable for me at all. Hope some artists can chime in soon!

artistebot likes this.