Improved Pencil 2 To Debut?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Steve S, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I have a Galaxy Book 10.6 and a Surface Book 2: the Surface pen feels better than the S-pen pressure wise. Particularly in the lower part of the curve.

2. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That is something i have noticed. And Apple pencil too has a better pressure curve yhan emr when ending the the stroke. But in overall comfort EMR still wins, specially when handwriting.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Interesting, because I feel that the Apple Pencil is actually superior when it comes to handwriting. But only handwriting.

4. siddhartth

where do u feel more in control of your strokes and have you used the newer Cintiqs recently? Cintiq pro 13 and Cintiq pro 16? I am currently split between the new iPad pro and the new Cintiq. I have a bad handwriting and slippery surfaces make it worse.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

No need for any pressure. I have never felt the surface on the iPad Pro to be slippery. I'm guessing that is some sort of personal preference. I know that @dstrauss feels it to be slippery and the Pencil to be noisy. Not an experience I share. The ink is true to the stroke, but for someone with small script it might be different. Sometimes I need to put down ink on PDF pages but I just enlarge them before doing that.

I have no experience from Cintiqs.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

On that iPad Pro Pencil thing and me: the nib is just so hard that it tends to slip on the screen when I write, and since I print rather than write in cursive there is a tapping sound every time the pen nib hits the glass - and it's not just me, I've had a Judge complain that it was distracting in a hearing. NOT GOOD.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So I stopped by my local Apple Store to take a look at the new iPad Pros and the New Pencil which should be in stores as of today.

Honestly I wasn't too impressed. The iPad Pro itself is nice and I kind of like the more industrial style design....but it actually seems thicker them my 9.7 iPad Pro. It is much better weighted however......holding the 11-incher feels really comfortable.....like if you have to hold the tablet for 3-4 hour life drawing class without a desk to rest it on.....the 11-inch Pro would be quite perfect for that specific use case.

The lack of a home button was really annoying however....but I imagine there would be a slight adjustment period to get used to not having the button....but thats per the usual with everyone else anyway since no one else has front buttons anymore.

the lack of a headphone jack also kind of makes me cry inside. I have a pair of bluetooth earphones I love to use....but its always hit and miss with my iPad Pro. 9.7....which either deosn't always want to connect.....or if it does and I'm watching a video thru a web browser.....I get these annoying beeps that for some reason will only happen with bluetooth. Many times I just use my wired headphones just for convenience. I guess this move was inevitable, but its sad to see it happen still. At least Apple makes it easy to get a dongle.....unlike the Pixel 2 phone which is a nightmare to get adapters for as my nephew is constantly having an issue with.

The Keyboard cover....while the back mechanism to prop the display is certainly better then the last smart keyboard.....its still too limited of an angle.....its amazing how poorly suited it is...especially with the height of the display tables at the Apple Store make it uncomfortable to use and test out at the Apple Stores. They really should have designed it so it could take at least 3 incline levels instead of the one. The Keyboard itself is the same crappy uncomfortable keyboard from last years.....far inferior to Surface Pro & Go type covers and Galaxy Book keyboard cases.

Now as for the pen.....it does clip on just as easily as Surface Pens clip on to the Surface devices. The Pencil itself feels the same weight and balance as the old pen. I was thinking and hoping the change in how it charges would affect the weight and balance (like the iPad itself) but the Pencil feels the same as last years. The now flat side.....is kind of subtle flat....more so then the surface pen....so it still very easily can roll around if you drop it on a table.

I unscrewed the pen tip.....its exactly the same tip from last year.....(or it looks so anyway) but if you have the pen tip replacement kit from the Pencil 1.....I would have to assume it would still be useable with the Pencil 2. the tip feeling itself.....to me feels exactly the same.

Now as far as the how the pencil itself performs......sadly Apple did not have any Art Software installed on the iPad Pros....no Procreate, No Clip Studio, No Adobe Sketch......all you could test out was the note app which is unsuitable for a proper assessment.

I will say the IAF is like.....-1.......ink gets flowing at the most minor......minor touch....even more so from the Pencil 1 I'd have to say. So for those who dislike the super sensitive IAF.....you def won't like Pencil 2.

Pencil 2 is also just as reliant as Bluetooth as Pencil 1 was. Disabling Bluetooth outright makes the pen inoperable.....given how Apple says the Pen pairs automatically now....I thought perhaps they reworked the Bluetooth/ES hybrid nature of the pencil to make it more simply ES based....but apparently not it seems.

Also.....the......touch button on the pen......I could not tell where the heck it actually was.....there didn't seem to be any indication of the button or any mark designating where it is. I'm guessing once you get used to the Pencil 2....it will just become 2nd nature down the line. But as is...I couldn't even use that feature.

wytn, siddhartth, Neve and 1 other person like this.
  8. siddhartth

First of all, thanks.

And yes it's sad that Pencil will continue to have that poor balance, with the back end being too heavy.

A felt/fabric/hard rubber coated nibs would or have vastly improved the nib on glass interaction offering more control.

i was also hoping for a slimmer nib point. Current tip of Apple pencil is humongous, forcing frequent zooming in and out for smaller handwriting/font.

But there's one more user experience point that we take for granted in ball point pens and paper interactions and which the current Apple pencil doesn't even tries to replicate but Surface and Wacom do. Nibs should be spring loaded. While some people will argue that real pencils too, don't have a spring, but then, Graphite is a very soft material and paper does indents to absorb the pressure applied, while hard glass doesn't, thus, making the absence of springs in Apple pencil construction even more counterintutive. I think that's what @dstrauss means when he says that the pencil tip is too "hard" .

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    JoeS and Cuberdon75 like this.
  9. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

siddhartth where are you getting your information? The only information about Microsoft pens is from Asus who consistently advertise 10g-300g. You're throwing around numbers like "9 grams" and "300Hz" without any source.

WillAdams likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It was mentioned by Panos on stage during the SP5 event in Shanghai, while revealing the new pen specs.

ATIVQ likes this.