Impressed with the iPad Mini 6/Air/2021

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Bishop, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Having seen the SGZF3, and watched the announcement and many videos of the Duo Deux, I decided to "simplify" my life and re-exit Android/Google world in favor of this device.

This is my use case:
    • Telephony/SMS on iPhone 12 Mini
    • Daily digital input driver on iPad Mini 6/Air/2021 (including inking)
    • Long trips, heavy document creation/modification on Surface Pro X
    • Desktop on Surface Studio 2
    upload_2021-9-27_16-52-32.png

Its the same width as the iPad Mini 5/2019, and just a bit over a 1/4 inch shorter. iPM6 feels lighter and better balanced, very balanced. With the keyboard docked bottom and split, I can thumb-type very well. The four speakers (2 on either side (in landscape) are quite good.

The reasons I did this vs. either foldable are simplicity (no need for Android/Google), fully compatibility with the iPhone 12 Mini and Apple Watch and I intend to use OneNote instead of carrying a Moleskine (which doesn't fold anyway). It also docks & charges Apple Pencil 2. Also beginning to appreciate the Scribble feature where Apple Pencil will write ink into most text boxes that converts to typed characters (think Apple Newton). How to use Scribble on iPadOS 14 on your iPad | AppleInsider

Plenty of space for split screen multitasking (compared to SDuo 1 below)
    [​IMG]

Along with learning the iPadOS multitasking features, I'm beginning to believe the only "feature" I'm giving up is the hinge.

* Multiple instances of Outlook using Split Screen | TabletPCReview.com - Tablet PC Reviews, Discussion and News
    * More Split Screen Joy | TabletPCReview.com - Tablet PC Reviews, Discussion and News

2. Bishop

Side note about iOS Home Screen widgets:

I prefer the five column layout in portrait. If you add a widget of any size, the Home Screen is forced back to 4 column. So now I’m testing an all widget home screen.

3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm somewhat with you on the widgets on the IPad more generally. On the one hand, I'm glad they are there, but OTOH they seem to be mostly half baked in at least this iteration.

TLDR, When I updated my Pro 11 to IOS 15, my first reaction after it installed was WTF did you do to my carefully setup home screen???

JoeS and Bishop like this.
  4. Bishop

YES!!

5. weaktoss

weaktoss Pen Pal - Newbie

Saw a very non-TLDR version of this exact complaint a few days ago on the Verge: "iPadOS 15 ruined my iPad’s homescreen"

My partner snagged a new mini last Friday and loves it so far. But then again, she didn't have a finely-tuned home screen setup on her old one.

dstrauss, Bishop and desertlap like this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

This RANT is for the ENTIRE computer industry...

STOP F'g WITH MY COMPUTER!

I am so sick and tired with some basement programming jockey at Apple/Microsoft/Google/Samsung/Amazon, you name it, re-arranging my system or resetting my defaults every D time they decide to update their software. And now, with Windows 11, it takes an act of GOD to untangle Microsoft Edge from your computing life - from browsing to PDF file viewing.

SO PROPHETIC FOR OUR TIMES!

weaktoss, dellaster and Bishop like this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I know right? Last time iOS added widgets as an option on the phone, it completely killed all my folders, spitting all apps into an alphabetical list. And recently I noticed that some (all?) Win10 apps are back to default (mail app forgot its swipe actions, etc). Pretty annoying for the tech OCD (oh sorry, I mean 'power user') who tweak all settings "just so".

Probably related: Win10 started re-opening apps that were open before shutdown. If you're interested, this option is buried under settings > accounts > sign-in options > restart apps. Windows are opening on their own, of course it's under accounts. Duh! Oh, and if you don't love always getting that big blue Win10 OOB experience after every major update, it's easy as well, just go to settings > system > notifications and actions > notifications, and uncheck "show me the Windows welcome experience" and the options below it. Totally intuitive. /passiveaggressiverant

Bishop and dstrauss like this.
  8. Bishop

@dstrauss: Here's my "when I have to type a lot" setup with the iPM6:

upload_2021-10-17_15-36-12.png

I got the iClever tri-fold keyboard in my early SDuo days because it had a built in mousepad and did iOS, Android and Windows well - and kept pairing set up for 3 devices. Of course, these days, I only need the one pairing.

Eltos, darkmagistric and nyb72 like this.
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

10. Bishop