Importing PDF into OneNote

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by Kumabjorn, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

How do you go about importing a PDF file, a scanned book to be precise, while maintining search capability. Can that also be done with non-English languages?

2. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

Open the PDF in whatever PDF reader you like, then print to the Send to OneNote driver. This will be a slow process. Search seems to work pretty well unless the scan is of poor quality (which means it was really the OCR that failed).

As far as languages other than English, I tried to find a free PDF of a scanned Spanish book to try, but was not able to. I don't see why it wouldn't work. You might have to install additional Office language packs depending on what language you want to do OCR of.

OneNote is awesome.

3. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

The speed largely depends on the processor you have. Also the Print to PDF trick only works with the desktop version of OneNote.

But yes, OneNote is amazing.

4. Kumabjorn

Using the Office 2010 version on the desktop. Japanese OCR worked up until doing a search, turn it flipped out and didn't search on the string but a random character.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

5. gerg

Kumabjorn likes this.
  6. Kumabjorn

This update just told me there are no Products affiliated with thsi update. Since I have a legal copy, fully registered I assume it means that this upgrade is already implemented by Microsoft Update in my system. I should also mention that I have installed a complete Language package for Japanese on my computer. It's just that I hadn't used this feature in ON before.

7. gerg

This comment in that post is what I was referring to:

4) Disabling and re-enabling text searching of all the slides allowed me to search all the text in the document perfectly. This was the fix we had to use before the update.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  8. Kumabjorn

I'll give that a try as well. The more I experiment with this the more I feel confident that the OCR process is not up to snuff compared with ABBYY FineReader.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk