I'm Trying to Find an Upgrade from My Current Tablet

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Mizukithepanda, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Mizukithepanda

Mizukithepanda Pen Pal - Newbie

Currently I own two tablets. A 10 inch iPad 3, which I like absolutely nothing about, and an Amazon Fire 7 tablet, which I love, except for the fact that it has about as much power as a nightlight. My issue is this: I primarily use my 7 inch tablet to play mobile games, and at the current moment, it's just ONE game, because that's all I can fit on the Fire's tiny 8 GB hard drive. However, the processing power of the Amazon Fire tablet is so incredibly poor that the game I use it for in the first place doesn't even really like running. What I'd like to get is a new (or used, don't care) 7 inch tablet that is considerably more powerful than what I have.

The reason I like 7 inch tablets, is because I have small hands and I can actually hold a 7 inch tablet with one hand. 8 inch tablets are too large for my hand, and 10 inch tablets lack the portability I want. (I also already have one, as said before, that's perfectly serviceable even if I don't like it.)

So with that out of the way, what I'm looking for is this:
    A 7 inch tablet that is an obvious improvement (in terms of processing power, RAM, and OS) over the Amazon Fire 7 that has at least 16GB of internal storage, if not more. I don't have any particular budget in mind, and the only brand/OS preferences I have are that it's NOT from Apple. (The iPad mini 4 is too large to fit in my hand anyway, though if there's an older iPad mini that's smaller and fits my description, I'd at least be willing to consider it.)

My research so far has just churned out a bunch of junk that doesn't sound any better than the Amazon Fire 7 specs-wise, so if anyone knows of a tablet that sounds like what I'm looking for, I'd be super grateful.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

The small tablet segment is overlooked in the West. Asian sites has more offerings. I think they all colluded and decided that Westerners no longer needs small tablets.
    Do some research on AlExpress or Kimovil and you might be able to find something that suits your needs.

3. Mizukithepanda

Hmm. I hadn't thought about buying a large phone to use as a tablet. That's not a bad idea, though it's certainly a pricey one. I'd have to look around and do some comparisons before I committed to anything at that price point.

And Kumabjorn, thank you, I'll definitely see what I can dig up. There's just nothing on this side of the pacific that isn't low-powered junk right now. It's disappointing.

4. Mizukithepanda

I did some digging in the Japanese and Chinese tablet markets, and the most promising ones that I saw were the Huawei MediaPad T2 7.0 Pro and the Sharp Aquos Pad SH-05G. Only issue I can find with them is that they both run Android 5.0 Lollipop, and I'm not sure if that can be upgraded or not. Even in foreign markets, when I start looking at 7 inch tablets that were made in the last 18 months - 2 years, their specs are considerably lower end than findings from a few years ago.