I'm trying to downgrade back to Vista, but recovery doesn't work :(

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by CrucialTK, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrucialTK

CrucialTK Pen Pal - Newbie

So I upgraded to XP on my TX after upgrading the memory. Well, XP doesn't seem to run too hot, and I wanna just go back to Vista. However, when I try to press F11 at the start up, nothing happens and it goes right to WinXP.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get to recovery?

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

When you were installing XP, did you format the drive? Is the Vista Partition still present?
    I think you've damaged the MBR, you need to find out if HP offers a way to repair the MBR.
    Alternatively, you may have to try & boot the partition manually using a tool like Grub4dos from a usb stick.

You're going to need:
    Grub4Dos
    USB Disk Storage Format Tool
    bootdisk.com for dos boot images
    vfd to make virtual floppy disks, b/c all the boot images extract to floppy disks

use the HP disk storage format tool to make the dos disk on the usb stick from the dos images, and then copy the grub4dos files to the usb stick.

The next part will require some trial & error trying to figure out which partition the recovery partition is on.
    you will boot to the usb stick..using the boot menu on the hp f12 i think...
    then run grub.

once you get to the command prompt type:

root (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    boot

where hd0,0 is the 1st partition h0,1 is the 2nd & so on until you are able to boot to the recovery partition.

Alternatey if you have access to any other bootloader software, setting the recovery partition to active should solve your problem & allow you to use f11 to boot to the recovery partition.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. thebranded

thebranded Pen Pal - Newbie

did you make the recovery dvd's? if so just load them and they will not only install vista but also re create the recovery partition

4. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

I've run the restore discs several times and they do not re create the recovery partition. But if you do have the recovery discs you don't need the recovery partition.

this may vary from region to region of course.

Gordon

5. thebranded

thebranded Pen Pal - Newbie

but you used mine right? I installed XP via a XP recovery Disc (not designed for the tx1000) and it wiped the recovery partition, When i used the recovery disc, it created the recovery partition then ejected the disc and recovered the the OS partition via the recovery partition, i still have the partition now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.