I'm tired of adventures

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by zarizsi, Oct 17, 2006.

1. zarizsi

zarizsi Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been lurking around trying to figure out which tablet is best for me. I am a college student who loves to write, listen to music, watch dvds, web, and must do homework and take notes during class.

I was looking at the dell 1210 and a toshiba u205 but was reminded of tablets when i went to best buy to window shop. I fell in love with the gateway and would have bought it then and there if it wasn't so heavy.

I would prefer it to have 12-14 in screen, be lightweight (or as light as it can be),a cd/dvd drive is important to me. I don't really game but the option would be nice. I am looking at the m400 and the fujitsu T4210.

If you can help me or think of one that i haven't thought of, and my budget is around $1500 but I can strech to $1700 by saving a little longer.

I need one soon thought because turning on my laptop is an adventure..I never know what will happen, if it will come on or not:)

2. Dark_Wolf

Dark_Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, the M400 and the T4210 are very very equal indeed in almost all respects and both are excellent tablets.
    I will tell you to get the M400 because of the very nice screen (with a resolution somewhat above the T4210), the nifty features (those 20 aps actually do have a function...well...some of them), the fact that it's cheaper than the T4210 and that it has better batterytime, though not by much.

P8RSON will probably be able to tell you the vices of the T4210 better than I, but I'll give it a shot anyway: You that you won't have to deal with the insane number of pre-installed aps, you can put a battery in the T4210 instead of the optical-drive, easily giving it an edge in batterytime and Fujitsu-Siemens has better support than Toshiba.

Fact is that both will fulfill your needs quite well, and it's mainly a matter of personal preference, especially if you don't need to do photoshop.

If you want the gaming option, the Toshiba Tecra M7 will give you that, but personally I wouldn't want a tablet with a 14" screen, simply too big for comfortable writing.

3. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member

i should point out that Dark_Wolf is right on with everything... except for his typos!

i'd just like to clarify that when he says "T4200" he really means the T4210, NOT the TC4200 which is an HP model.

4. Dark_Wolf

*shoots the typo demon*

5. zarizsi

zarizsi Pen Pal - Newbie

the only thing that guides me more to the 4210 is that i have heard of noise the fan makes and I have read other things about m400 that scare me alittle. as i expect this notebook to last me hopefully at least four years i also have to take it into class with me so it can't be that loud otherwise i do like the m400.

I not very computer literate. Can you help me to figure out what type of processor, hard drive and anything else i should think of when i order my tablet?

6. daver

i've read that the fan on the m400 is not that loud actually. however, this is all personal preference, so some people who complained may just be really nit-picky ;). my brother's m400 isn't loud at all. you can definitely hear it when the room is quiet, but i don't think it would be destractingly noisy in a lecture hall environment. remember though, that all those "bad" things that you read about hte M400 could also happen to you if you got a T4210! anything is possible in the world of technology, so don't expect the M400 to be any worse or better than the fujitsu: they are equally good and bad in their own ways.

• from what i read that you would be using it for, i would definitely go with Core 2 Duo. first and foremost it costs the same as Core Duo - give or take a few bucks - but also has slightly better performance and battery time.
    • if you aren't going to be using your tablet for very processor demanding applications, then i would suggest any core duo model out there, ranging from 1.6ghz to 2.16ghz. to be honest, what speed you choose is more likely going to be dependent on how much money you can shell out. still, i would suggest at least 1.8ghz since it should be more than enough power to fulfill all your needs, and still have enough power to last a few years (3-4 perhaps)
    • unless you intend on importing your entire music collection to your hard drive (which i know some people do just to boast), i think a 60GB hard drive is more than enough for school work. my only computer at home has a 20GB hard drive, and i still have 9GB of free space left. you could of course always get a bigger hard drive if you are worried about space, or get an external one in the future
    • 512MB of RAM is a MINIMUM must if you are planning on upgrading to Windows Vista. of course, all new tablets come with 512 anyways. however, having run several applications for my computer science courses, 512 doesn't seem enough for me. so perhaps going with 1GB of RAM would be a better choice in case you decide to become a multi-tasking guru someday!
    • the only other thing i would suggest is getting a good protective case to carry it in. i have read countless stories of people damaging their notebooks/tablets because they didn't have a good case to protect it. granted, sometimes accidents happen and even the notebook gets damaged in the case itself, it's still a good insurance for times when you accidentally drop a sharp object on it so it won't scratch/puncture anything

other than that, i think everything is now up to you. of course, don't take everything i say to heart since you would probably know best what's in the future for you. i'm just suggesting things that hopefully would be enough for you.

i hope that helps!

7. Dark_Wolf

Not sure if you can get either of these with a core 2 duo, though ofcourse you should if you can. However, the difference between the core duo and the core duo 2 is hardly big, unless you do a lot of file compression or media enconding.

Besides that I pretty much agree with what daver says, and 1 gig of ram IS gold , I can tell you thatl

8. zarizsi

zarizsi Pen Pal - Newbie

is the fact that i can't afford to get the t4210 1gb of ram reason to look at getting another tablet where i can afford the 1gb.

I have read that you can do it yourself, how would i do that?

9. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

This link may help you when it comes to installing RAM as far as toshibas are concerned. I'm not sure how applicable it would be to you if you got the fujitsu as I've never looked into any of fujitsu's tablets

link

As I have read this, I can tell you if you possess a wee bit of technical/computer knowledge this doesn't seem like too daunting of a task. However, if you feel any amount of apprehension at taking your expensive notebook/tablet apart, don't do it.

10. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

zarizsi,
    As to purchasing RAM, bothe daver & Dark_Wolf correctly point out theat 1GB RAM is Gold.
    They are quite correct but their meaning is not that it is expensive as you seem to think it to be but that it is an absolute necessity if you are considering using the tablet properly.
    1GB RAM when bought from the right independant source will only set you back around £80 or $100 to $150 US (cheaper if you look around).

As to fitting it, BornLoser provides the M400 link we often use.
    However, for the Fujitsu T4210, there is no link and the reason behind this is because it is that simple to do, a trained chimp could literally achieve it.... as in; turn machine over, unscrew 3 x screws, lift covering plate, drop memery stick (1GB stick) into vacant slot, replace cover, replace screws and tighten, turn machine over and switch on.......

Couldn't be any simpler. :)

btw.... the T4210... it's as quiet as a mouse... You never hear the fan or any other noise.
    It gets quite warm but certainly nothing that I would call alarming.
    It's that good a machine, I bought a total of 4 x units for myself and the farm.

11. Dark_Wolf

Wouldn't he just be buying a 512mb stick and adding to the 512mb already there and get dual channel ram and thus have both more pow4h and saved money?? :confused:

12. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh indeed, just an extra 512MB module would be ideal.
    It's half the price of a 1GB stick and is suitable for most applications.

Sorry, I thought between the three of you, you had established the need for 1GB sticks, which if it were for heavy graphics work, would be an ideal memory choice :)

13. zarizsi

zarizsi Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your help!

14. daver

i was thinking with going 1GB for sure, however how he/she would go about getting 1GB of RAM would be their choice.

15. zarizsi

zarizsi Pen Pal - Newbie

Would you have any idea of where i could get the 4210 for the least amount of money? would it be newegg? I was hoping to be able get the one with the 60gb. also does the website have any student discounts?