I'm ordering my ASUS now, & have a question...

Discussion in 'Asus' started by adretzios, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honeyb

honeyb Pen Pal - Newbie

After 2 days of research (TabletPCPreview is the BEST!), I've finally decided on the Asus R1F...
    I noticed that milestonepc has a special edition coming out for $1949., that includes the following specs:
    Core 2 Duo Convertible Tablet PC, T7200, 2048M DDR2 667, 160G 5400 rpm SATA, DVDRW, Wireless, Windows Vista Business, 2 year Global warranty...

I'm not competant enough in the hardware realm to even know what some of these numbers represent (and don't want to be embarrassed when my husband asks me to justify this large purchase!). Is the 2048M DDR2 667 ram? I would like to have 2gb RAM and I assumed that's what this says in computer-ese. Also, I'm assuming the 160G is hard drive capacity and speed (5400 rpm), but what's SATA? I think I've figured everything else out, but is this configuration a good buy at the price, and does anyone recommend going with Vista business or sticking with the XP for now (I really don't want to have to buy a bunch of new software)?
    Thanks so much for all the great info...

2. pirround

pirround Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes the 2048M DDR2 667 is RAM and 2gb is a good choice right now.
    SATA is the hard drive interface type: Serial ATA as opposed to the older Parallel ATA. Serial ATA is the current standard so this is what you want.
    From the amount of interest I think that the milestonePC price is a reasonable one.
    Others can weigh in on the Vista vs XP issue. I will be upgrading my Tablet to Vista as soon as I have time, but then I don't expect to have any software compatibility problems.

3. Bogie

Bogie Pen Pal - Newbie

>Is the 2048M DDR2 667 ram?
    Yes

>what's SATA?
    SATA (Serial ATA) is a harddrive's bus transfer standard, most of the new computer use this one now , while older ones use IDE.

I don't want to comment on the price of the configuration because the word 'worth' is not equivalent for each person.

Going from XP to Vista does require a learning curve. If you like trying something new, it's not bad at all. For me, I only tried few of the softwares I had (most are open-source/free), have not had the compatibility problem yet.

4. MilestonePC.com

MilestonePC.com Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi there,
    1. Yes the ram is 2GB. It states "2048 DDR2 @667mhz", this means it is using the fastest speed of ram as well, 667mhz.
    2. Yes the hard drive is 160GB, it is 5400rpm.
    3. SATA is just the interface in which the hard drive connects to the motherboard. SATA is the latest technology currently. The older one is PATA. If you were to compare PATA and SATA, you will see a performance increase. The % in change varies dependent on information you find, however just take this, it is better to have SATA, since it is newer and provides more performance.

As for Vista and XP Pro, this is ultimately your choice, however I do suggest asking others here what they think of Vista and the R1F, or Win XP and their R1F.

If you have more questions please ask, or you can email us, the email is in the signature.

5. honeyb

honeyb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, everyone, for the good information...
    I just placed my order for the Special Edition, so I'll be anxious to get the box opened and start playing with my "new toy."
    Does anyone know if milestonepc has started shipping?

6. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Why don't you ask!
    They do clearly say "If you have more questions please ask, or you can email us, the email is in the signature".

They're only one post above your entry...

...or just wait until they next call and read your request. :)

7. honeyb

honeyb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks...(duh). I did that right after I came to my senses.
    I'll post again when I receive the unit.

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

:).. I did think it strange.
    Let us know how you get on.

9. aretzios

aretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

It is a relatively good configuration, similar to mine. However, I would have opted for a smaller but faster hard drive. I have a 100 GB spinning at 7200 rpm, which I think provides a better performance. I also have 2 GB of memory and a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo chip. Amazingly, doing this at an Asus certified center does not invalidate the warrantee. My system came with Vista Business and has been remarkably stable. SATA is the current standard in the interface for hard drives in personal computers.

10. GateGuardian

GateGuardian Pen Pal - Newbie

I actually have a question. I know the R1F is a very good convertible, but with the current BATTERY problems, why are people still buying this laptop?