If You Could Only Have One Note Taking Device...

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by dstrauss, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Well, I've had this Samsung Tab A 8.0 for a while, and I'm keeping it. Love having LTE for field work and showing clients info on the fly. Like having the backup pen in the silo. I've used both so far for work. I also like doing "research" on it, deep reading, and thoughtful note taking while brainstorming for things. It's big enough to be easy to really browse and write, and yet it's still very light. if it had a little detachable clamshell keyboard with a reasonable typing experience, I could probably have it as a single device in a pinch. As it is, I'll probably be switching over 100% to it for my secondary device. I'm also using my laptop less for general browsing. But I still type on the big 14" Thinkpad keyboard when I can. Even for posts such as this.

BTW, is there a dedicated thread for this device somewhere? I have various Android and device focused questions....

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Steve,
    So glad to hear you like your Tab A 8.0. I'm quite tempted, though I'm leaning toward moving up to a 9.7" device, after having the Note 8.0 tablet for 3 years. Can't beat the value on the Tab A 8.0 though.

Regarding a companion BT keyboard, I recommend this keyboard/case companion for your tablet. I've used a similar one for my Note 8.0 and while the keyboard is small and somewhat crude (size limitations are gating factors), it does the job when you don't have a computer handy and you need to do more typing than appropriate for an OSK or stylus entry. It does add bulk but also protection if you're using it in the field. Of course, you can use any BT keyboard and there are many that are quite good for typing, if you can spread out on a work surface.

One last question about the Tab S: Do you notice any significant lag at times or does it seem as zippy as a fairly recent phone (or tablet, if you've used any)?

Thanks for the update!

3. Steve B

I find it zippy enough. The honest truth is the user experience is faster than the Bay Trail Windows tablets I’ve had- particularly when browsing and accessing apps- for literally half the weight, but not much reduction in screen width at all from my 10.1” 16:10 tablet. I’ve been tweaking lots of settings and getting it all set up these last 2 weeks. I accessed the developer options, and smoothed the UI experience out some by turning off the window animation and the animator duration, reducing the transition animation, and forcing GPU rendering.

I wish it were windows, but that is what it is. There are no windows devices that do what it does. There are higher res tablets with more horse power, but it checks off all my essentials for a mobile tablet where nothing else does-
    -pen silo
    -LTE
    -superb battery life
    -light in the hand
    -good ratio for tablet use
    -superb battery life
    -fast enough
    -not so expensive that I’m scared I’m gonna break it

As an all-in-one, a 9.7 Tab A with a keyboard would be better, but as a secondary device that is a tablet first and foremost, I really like the 8” 4:3 format. I was thinking about starting a new thread to talk about details and Android setup.

Btw- running Nougat. Updated yesterday. Nice with the multi-windows.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Starlight5 likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Steve - it would be good to have a separate thread to follow.

5. Steve B

6. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Does anyone use Thinkpad Compact Bluetooth Keyboard with a standalone tablet? Is there any tablet currently on the market that can be used on lap with native keyboard attached to it and don't fall, with this Bluetooth keyboard in front of it instead?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Well, if I could only have one OneNote device my vote would go to the upcoming Galaxy X, at least if it will look like this.

https://goo.gl/images/ftTxMF

WillAdams and dstrauss like this.