If You Could Only Have One Note Taking Device...

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by dstrauss, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Gotta say- I went and took a look at the Note 8 phone and it is very narrow and skinny (well, it’s a phone after all), and not at all like a 4:3 8” tablet. I found the edge to edge screen very nice for viewing things but very awkward for inking. It’s not really bezel-free for inking- you just can’t ink to edges anyways. It’s rounded and you need to hold on to something. It’s a nice device, but not, for me, really a good option for a daily note taker.

I am attempting to hold off judgement on the Tab A 8” for now and just try and figure if it will have a place in my setup and if it does a better job at things than my Thinkpad Tablet 10.

Btw- the version I got is a non-usa model. So GSM unlocked. I’m hoping I can get it to work with ATT. Reports online suggest it should be fine. We’ll see.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I believe that was our beloved @Mesosphere in that photo, if I am not mistaken -

Mesosphere likes this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Can you say where you sourced your tablet and report in if you get it running on AT&T, or any US GSM carrier? I believe it is 2 years newer than my N8 tablet and, with the newer tech would make my ailing too-old tablet into a completely daily-driver-usable. By virtue of being in that size sweet spot, likely running (or able to run) Marshmallow (thus it should run fast and smooth and, if not too heavily used, get 6-8 hrs SOT, more than a business day's worth), this tablet exists as my holy grail nominee, good for 1-2 yrs of good service. (@SteveB, I hope it works out great for you, but if it doesn't, would you kindly PM me if you wish to convert it back to cash :)) My only hope for this form factor having the commercial potential for someone to make one is if MS' push to get people using pens as productivity tools creates demand from a user group from the red-hot modern-day convertible segment who find Surface devices insufficiently mobile and a single $1K phone with a 6.2" screen inadequate and overpriced for the task. With so many high volume producers making convertible devices at many sizes, from 11" - 15", seems like 1 or 2 could do a brand extension down to a more portable device... thinking aloud here, I nominate HP - which has twice made business class tablets in the 7-8" class - and Acer, which has a history of breaking size barriers in the netbook era - first to expand from 10.1" to 11.6" and appears to have sufficient volume and manufacturing flexibility to eye the segment as a lower budget alternative to current convertible market segments. Just spitballing here...

[but serious as I can be if you change your mind, Steve B - but good luck with it, seriously.]

4. Steve B

If you search “Samsung p355” on Amazon it’ll take you to the appropriate model. Here-
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Sm-p...=1508977062&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=aamsun+p355
    I bought mine from GSMhero. I activated it today and it works fine with cellular data.

I also unchecked the spen settings box that saves battery life when the pen is in the silo. This lets me use a larger stylus, and yet still have the pen tucked away. Not sure how bad it’ll affect battery life, but larger pens to work.

Still trying to figure out using the device, but cellular works.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  5. djas

djas Graffiti User

Turn it to flipped portrait orientation and use swipe keyboard or grafitti.

You'd loved it.

6. lovelaptops

Thanks. I didn't realize as I now do that new ones are all over the market. It was apparently sold with Tmobile branding so we're not talking a non-US GSM LTE radio. Just to clarify did you use an AT&T SIM?

Also, in looking it up I saw that it has a 1024X720 screen, which is much lower than mt N8's 1280x800. How is the screen quality? Can't remember the last time I saw such a low-res screen. In all other respects it seems fine for my purposes, and an update from the GN8. Also, what Android version does it run? With my GN4 5.0 was a disaster. I imagine you can get 6.0 via a custom ROM, but I'd prefer not to have to mess w/that. I just remember the universal major complaints (including mine) about 5.0/5.1.1. 4.42 (Kitkat) is a dream, but it's hard to roll back.

Thanks for your feedback. Jeff

7. lovelaptops

Do you like Swipe better than SwiftKey? Forgot all about Grafitti - used to be really fast on my Palm Pilot!

Why flipped portrait orientation?

8. djas

djas Graffiti User

Flipped portrait = avoid hardware key
    I used Grafitti exclusively. Don't use neither Swipe nor Swiftkey.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  9. lovelaptops

Sorry, flipped portrait = hardware key???

10. Steve B

Yes, my SIM card is ATT. They had to enter a few things special by hand, but it’s currently working.

I believe it’s running android Marshmallow.

I don’t find the screen bad at all. Bright, nice colors, and reasonable resultion for an 8” screen. It’s 1024 x 768. That’s 160 PPI. It’s no iPad mini, but I like the screen fine. We would have loved to have had that density just a few years ago.