If You Could Only Have One Note Taking Device...

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by dstrauss, Oct 10, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, asking them directly doesn’t work, so maybe subliminal message will work

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Argh! Land ahoy, matey!

[​IMG]

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I was thinking more like the idea to not include insert space as a feature in Android/iOS to make sure people also but the desktop version.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Reeeeally?

Well that just feeds into my latest flight of paranoid suspicion that Microsoft has a little side project where they've realized the psychological profiling powers of handwriting analysis is either a great potential source of revenue -or perhaps by collecting it and handing it over is just a good old fashioned way to not be vaguely threatened by the CIA/NSA/Ministry of "Our Empire is Falling! Quick! Criminalize Privacy!"

After I went through the funky handwriting recognition tuning marathon on my machine, (which works amazingly well, btw), Microsoft reminded me a couple of times that, golly gee, it sure would be convenient for me if I'd just tick that little box and upload all that data to their servers.

dstrauss likes this.
  5. dstrauss

So YOU are the reason we don't get to have "Insert Space" on my iPad Pro....

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Well, NOW I am.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

7. dstrauss

We both are, at his point, BUT I still think Microsoft's long term strategy is to get out of the hardware business, and retreat fully to the cloud and software and be OS agnostic...hell, the iOS versions of the Office Suite (other than my missing insert space in OneNote) are superior to the "UWP" versions in Windows.

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

So I picked up on eBay a Samsung Tab A 8.0” with spen and LTE and it arrived the other day. It’s a lovely little device, I must say- light weight, nice inking, etc. I’ve not used Android before, which is, of course, frustrating at times, and I’ve also never really used a truly hand-held tablet before (smaller than 10”), which is also frustrating and interesting at the same time. The screen and aspect ratio are nice enough though, and pen input is good. And it’s nice to have a silo, no doubt.

You ever get exactly what you’re looking for and then wonder if it’s really what you needed? That’s sort of how I feel.

The first thing that’s occurred to me is that an 8” 4:3 device is just lovely for viewing docs, but tough for putting in text. It’s too top heavy to conveniently type much in portrait mode- atleast in comparison to a phone. I have small, chubby contractor-hands, and the 4:3 ratio actually makes it a bit hard to type in portrait mode. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but for typing purposes, I wish the device were just a bit narrower. I’m working on learning to type on a split-keyboard with two thumbs or with Swype one-handed. Of course, I’ve not done a big inking session yet, so perhaps I’ll appreciate that 4:3 aspect ratio soon enough.

It also doesn’t really fit in a pocket, the way a phone does, which is very convenient when you’re moving around all day— and I 100% __don’t__ have a desk job. I like to view information on the phone, like a map, and then put it back in my pocket when we were about the field, then pull it out again later to view the information again, intermittently. That’s very useful the phone. It also is just ever so slightly heavy when browsing one handed... again, as compared to a phone.

I’ll be trying it out for atleast another week, but I have come to understand the benefits of the handheld phone-sized screen. I like my iPhones tiny and easily usable 1-handed if need be, so I have the 4” SE. That sort of portability and easy handheld typing experience is hard to beat. ??

I feel like I’m having that same 2-device conversation that other people are having about laptops and tablets, but my conundrum is about tablets and phones. They do actually serve different functions if you’re working in the field. I’m beginning to think it might not make much sense to try and combine them, without a folding device available yet. The different shapes and sizes do different things better.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    djas, thatcomicsguy and Starlight5 like this.
  9. dstrauss

WOW - you sound just like the little voice in my head - scary close actually.

First - I didn't know they ever made an 8" that used an S-Pen - is it a Korean conversion of some sort (as he drools over the thought of getting one).

UPDATE - (First A) - with the Galaxy Note 8 now having a 6.3" screen, perhaps an 8" device is just not warranted any longer?

Second - it's time we bring in @Bronsky for all our benefits to relate the successful melding of Surface 3 and Galaxy Note 5. That puts you to the "one device" solution - the always with you phone and computer for all else. Otherwise you end up in what is a confusing and complicated three way dance between the phone, small tablet, and laptop/convertible/desktop conundrum.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

There was an 8" TABLET called Galaxy Note 8. I got it in 2013 and, in the spirit of Bronsky, *I still use it!* Its got a WACOM EMR, S pen in silo, and a very decent 1280X800 (16:10) IPS screen, Android KiKat and the best execution of Touch Wiz as a superior alternative to stock Android, even today's tablet UI. Having used the GN4 (5.8"), Nexus 7("), briefly owned an S8+ and this" vintage" GN8(") tablet I can tell you the 8" tablet is THE form factor, our holy grail. True, it only fits in large pockets* (see below), but it's still quite manageable in two hands (a given, with a pen) and would be 0.5" narrower using 2017 bezel ratios, overall, thin, light and really convenient. Coming directly from a 9.7" -12.3" alternative, it feels cramped, but as more of a 6" phone alternative I consider it the minimum, but acceptable, size for reading documents, web pages, etc and for making reasonably page size notebooks which is pretty silly on a Note phone, though I did it often when I didn't want to carry a bag (see *comment beow re: garment pockets, bezels). Other than a fold-out screen, which I think would have engineering challenges, THE answer is an 8" tablet, paper thin, with about a 4:3 screen and very narrow bezels so will fit in pockets of today's clothing, multi-day battery life (real estate to hold at least 5 mah battery), today's magnificent screen tech, lightening fast ARM cpu, 64-256GB RAM, unltd SD. WHY WON'T SOMEONE MAKE THIS FOR ME??!!

*I have a tailor who has twice refurbished my one blazer with a wide enough pocket to hold my GN8 table! Cargo-type slacks also work, and more and more clothing being made w/extra gadget capacity. (dstrauss, wasn't there a photo of someone allegedly carrying an SP device in the rear of their pants, was the person it alleged to be an attorney from Texas, or was another charter member being lampooned?! :D )