If You Could Only Have One Note Taking Device...

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by dstrauss, Oct 10, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

What would it be?

It's fall, it's late in the game, and what would you do if you could only have one note taking device. Here is again, on the grail quest, looking for that jack of all trades. This thread is intended to be "you can only have one on the desert island" and not, like me, a justification of why I have to have a briefcase full of devices. So put your thinking caps on gang and come up with "the one"

UPDATE: I am talking about a single computer, not trying to force anyone to decide between a Galaxy Note 8 device and a tablet/laptop.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    will.lambert likes this.
  2. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Can you expand on "you can only have one". Do you mean one device total, or one tablet? If its one device total, then my answer is the Note 8. Having only a device like the Surface Pro, I would be disconnected and not be able to make phone calls, text etc. Even adding LTE, it would be difficult to use it as a phone. And, if on a desert island, I'd want to be able to travel light.

If I'm back into my real world... I find the combination of Surface Pro (or any of the other variants from HP, Samsung, etc.) and Note 8 to be quite robust. I feel no need to carry around a third dedicated tablet device.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I too would go with the Note 8, the old tablet with 8"screen and siloed pen. Because we aren't talking anything else but note taking, right?

4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

Samsung Galaxy Book 12, while wishing that Samsung had an 8" version of it --- will admit that the Galaxy Note 8 is tempting (does the Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus work well on it?)

5. dstrauss

Sorry for the confusion (I'm good at that) - I am talking about a single computer for all purposes (work, play, notes). In that scenario a good note taking phone is allowed (and encouraged) but NOT as your sole device.

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If I was starting from scratch, I would probably choose a Galaxy Note 8 phone and a Galaxy Book 10.6, with all its flaws. Waiting for WOA instead. But I could see myself getting a GB 10 if the price dips low enough on sale and I can find a proper docking solution.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Galaxy Note 8 and Galaxy Book 12.
    At least until the Switch 7 comes out. :D

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My Galaxy Book 10.6 hands down

The Note 8.....I'm hesitant towards because I don't like how narrow and long they made the screen over the Note 5....It's like the phone equivalent of a 21:9 Ultra Wide monitor. And I'm not a fan of the whole curved edges thing...especially for pen usage....always thinking I'm gonna draw off and down the edges.

The 10.6 with its 3/2 ratio is perfect.

9. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

The Note 8 in a proper case is a pretty awesome form factor... its a little narrower in the hand than my iPhone 6S+ which makes it easier and more secure to hold and use one handed. The extra tallness (if that's a thing) is great for running a video at the top of the screen and some other app at the bottom.

10. dstrauss

Time to weigh in on my own question:

Acer Switch 7 Black Edition

I'm putting all my eggs in one basket (and hope I'm not wearing them all over my face this December). I have pondered this heavily (over-wrought to be the truth), and the AS7 ticks every block on my wish list (save a 1TB ssd - but I can tap out my resources and add a 400gb mSDXC card - yes, I am insane when it comes to tech gear). I guess I'll never let go of my desire to just have one main computing device - work, play, and note taking; PLUS the Wacom EMR in a silo.

Not saying my eye won't be turned by a pretty ankle (looking at the updated 8th gen Spectre x360 and XPS 2-in-1), but that AS7 is just so compelling. If only Panos had stuck with Wacom, by now we could have a Surface Pro with S-pen stylus in a silo, with a high dollar full size pen - instead we get a full size OVERPRICED N-trig...

sonichedgehog360 likes this.