If you could design a device, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by WillAdams, Feb 2, 2019.

1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think one of the things which the industry has to sort out is whether or no there's room for a 3rd portable device in-between a cell phone and a laptop / 2-in-1 tablet. The dearth of 8" tablets seems to indicate that folks think it's not a viable marketspace.

I would want an

- 8" tablet (has to have a larger display than a phone, but still be pocketable)
    - with e-ink screen (300ppi or better) --- a monochrome LCD would be workable, guess lighting would be needful as well --- something daylight viewable in bright, direct sunlight.
    - with Wacom EMR stylus (newest version in a silo)
    - GPS and the ability to load maps and do navigation
    - a good ebook reader (supporting the Android Kindle reader or something similar would be fine)
    - the ability to tether as a second display
    - a decent PDF reader w/ the ability to take notes / do markup
    - a nice notetaking application w/ handwriting and shape recognition

I'm currently debating on whether I should get a cell phone or an ebook reader (probably an Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2016) --- but would buy such a device if available --- the closest thing to it I'm aware of would've been the Asus EEE Note EA800 (or my beloved Newton MessagePad).

I suppose I'd be satisfied w/ an iPhone or iPod Touch w/ Apple Pencil support and a daylight viewable display. I worry if I should break down and buy a Samsung Galaxy Note 9.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I love the @JoeS concept of a Z-foldable, three OLED on the inside and one e-ink on the outside. The e-ink for notices, clock that shifts by the minute (save battery) and pertinent local information and then you could turn it into your Kindle or e-Pub reader of choice. Each section only 2 mm thick for a total thickness of 6 mm (a gurl can dream, can't she?). Two 4 000 mAh batteries, the section with OLED and e-ink won't have room for it. When you fold it out it should be like a bezel less 7.5" device so you can still hold it in one hand and take notes with a siloed stylus.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    WillAdams likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dam! I think engineers have their work cut out for them for about the next 100 years or so. :p

I'd settle for a high-res color e-ink display that could refresh at least at 24fps; coupled with a resistive matte display sensitive enough to detect a brush. So maybe only 50 years for me... :)

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Never claimed I was realistic.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The new 7-8" eink display tablets are getting close to tempting me to adopt a third device for reading and note taking outdoors.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Oh? A device that'll sell? I'll leave that to Lenovo, HP, and the rest of 'em. If I were designing a dream device it would be the ZBook x2/x360 with a 16:10 14"/15.6" 4K+ true-10-bit (no FRC) 100% Adobe RGB / DCI-P3 display. I'm surprised that a device like the x2/x360 exists at all, but if they make a successor with a 16:10 display I might have to buy it.

7. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Link?

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

WillAdams likes this.