If you could create a custom Surface Cover, what features would it have?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by sonichedgehog360, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

[​IMG]

If Microsoft decided to open the Surface Cover connector interface to third-party manufacturers, what features would you like to see in those Covers? After we get some visibility, some banter going, and some ideas out there, we will make another thread with a poll and we will vote on all our ideas!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I'll start off. Here are some ideas I already brought up elsewhere:
    • A type cover with a digitizer so you could draw on two places at once, on- and off-screen
    • A type cover with an OLED touchbar on it (thanks, Tim Cook; as Sonic fans would say it: Original the Character, do not steal)
    • A type cover with custom RGB lighting and programmable macro buttons for eSport gamers
    • A type cover with a shock emitter and a buzzer when junior goes overtime on his computer privileges :p
    • A type cover purpose-built to tackle the toughest of IT and PC support struggles :D
      [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  3. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I want keys that have a top made of e-ink, whenever you switch language settings, the keyboard adapts.

Digital artist found dead in home. Details sketchy.

sonichedgehog360 and Bronsky like this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I would like a custom cover that functioned as a cover.

cmergel, revmike, dbrn and 4 others like this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Why stop there? It would be great if it could be used as a secondary e-ink display. Basically make it into the Onyx Boox / Sony DPTS1 but using the Surface 3 for the processing and storage.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Because good Sir, ahm a modest girl with modest dreams.

Balbutio ergo sum

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've wondered that too.....the Music Cover along with the Power Cover were in my opinion awesome assecories for the Pro 2. Since they clearly abandoned both....I'd have to imagine they had really really poor sales.

9. burningorange

burningorange Pen Pal - Newbie

I would make a "Performance Type Cover" to turn the Surface Pro into a smaller Surface Book: a backlit keyboard with FULL size arrow keys (not frustrating half-size ones), same trackpad, include the same 38 Wh battery as the Surface Pro to double battery life, a dGPU (GTX 1060), a rigid hinge that closes flush and supports the Surface to make it lapable (more like the Porsche Design hinge than the Surface Book hinge), and an e-ink display with N-Trig digitizer on the front side. The e-ink cover can serve as a second screen for reading and annotating pdf's and ebooks, and serve as a custom art display to cover the Surface like a textbook when closed. The whole cover would be about the same thickness and half the weight of the Surface Pro.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Starlight5 and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  10. burningorange

burningorange Pen Pal - Newbie

A couple of years ago, I was at a private Surface event and told them how great their blades concept was, how great the Music Cover, Power Cover was, and how many ideas for extending the capabilities I had. They liked the ideas, but they said to start working on them (kickstarter-style) and the Microsoft/Surface Team would gladly help with engineering advice, but they abandoned making their own blades. Not sure why, but lack of sales, reception and general interest seemed to be the unofficial reason. When the Surface Book came out, I was disappointed that the Base unit was not just a blade for the Surface Pro line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.