If not...then what?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by gulik23, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

Jurisprudence,

My wear exists on each corner of the plastic trim that is around the screen. It is especially bad under the word 'asus' and under the LED indicator lights on the right hand side of the plastic trim covering the screen. I think this is due to a slight rubbing between the base (particularly the area of the base that contains the 'holes' where the speakers are mounted. I also have significant wear around my wireless 'on/off' switch. More wear exists all around the keyboard where the base makes contact with the plastic trim around the screen when the tablet is closed...I'm assuming it has to be from some sort of friction that is created when the unit is opened and closed.

Once again, not covered by warranty, but I will check my touchpad area later to see if it is level. I'll also post some pictures of the wear if I think to do it this weekend so I can see if anyone else is experiencing wear in similar places.

2. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

Welcome to the frustrated R1F owners club :mad:

If you don't need the 2nd battery IN the laptop, check out my external battery review. I'm really happy with my choice and can't imagine buying the modular bay battery.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. desk_star

desk_star desk_star

I tend to agree with some people who conluded they would never buy ASUS again.
    I used to sell computers (custom made) equiped with ASUS motherboards which are ok but their R1F laptop is a fiasco.
    I own one and I would like to go back in time an buy an IBM or HP.

Honestly it could be a good laptop but ASUS is weak in delivering from the start a solid reliable machine and later when issues are unveiled they have no ideea how to fix them. Complete silence from their part.

It's is something very wrong when users have to make huge efforts to at least be noticed, when sometimes ASUS denies there's even a problem with the batteries, when there are voices telling us that the problem is on our imagination. Do you idiots think that I like spending my time on forums trying to find even the smallest advice of how to fix a dozen of problems?

ASUS should imediatelly take the matter in their hands because they built the damn tablet and are in a better position than anybody else to investigate and find the problem.

It's a lot of money I spent to buy it and after that probably hours and hours of testing trying scenarios, reading on forums and I could've done better things in that time. With an IBM or HP I'm sure I would've.

More, ... their software is so bad I don't even have words to describe it.

It's just SAD.

4. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

Amen, desk_star.

I'm also one of the folks with a machine that still doesn't work correctly despite having already sent it off for repair. My tablet is now in California for the second time with exactly the same issues I sent it off for the first time. Not a single thing was fixed! Plus it's been gone for 2 weeks with no word from Asus as to what's going on.

The R1F has been so squirrelly for me that I had to buy another machine so that I could get work done. But i can't get rid of the R1F until it works like a tablet should/is advertised to do.

So I'm out nearly $2000 (I bought the modular bay battery too), but all I have to show for it is a 5 pound plastic doorstop that heats up when I turn it on. The issues I have preclude using it on AC power (the wifi shuts itself off on AC), and the battery issue means I can't use it on battery power. There's no mechanism to get around the issues whatsoever.

What I find ironic is, if I sold a computer that didn't perform as advertised, I'd be held culpable. I have to either repair it post-haste, or refund their money. But a multi-million/billion dollar company apparently has no need to be accountable. There's not so much as a peep out of Asus as to what's going on, how many units are affected, how they intend to make good on the transaction.

I had to give up and buy another computer. But I feel like I've had my pocket picked. If someone took money out of my bank account, people would call it theft. I know I'm saying something extreme, but Asus's refusal to communicate and offer us a solution...is looking like theft to me. If they'd been above board and said "oops, here's the problem, and here's what we can do to fix it", then I'd just chalk it up to the misfortune of buying a lemon. We all will get the chance to buy a lemon at sometime in our life. Defects happen, but when a manufacturer refuses to acknowledge them, can't or won't fix them, can't or won't replace the units in a timely enough manner (to prevent you from having to buy another machine), and won't refund your money....what am I supposed to think???

5. desk_star

desk_star desk_star

Calling them thiefs it may sound extreme but sometimes the truth sounds extreme.

If you buy a car you have a real warranty because you get it fixed if it breaks. It should be the same with a laptop, isn't it?.

Someone I think Jurisprudent on another thread was mentioning that he's thinking of eventually going to court. That would be something that would rock the place a bit because right know I'm tired of how many posts I read ( post spanning many threads and many months) and it doesn't seem ASUS gives a sh... .

Maybe the decision to sweep it under the rug was already made. They analysed hom many posts are made by actually how many people and they concluded: Negligible, ignore them! Maybe not. Maybe they genuinely work overtime to fix the battery wear problem. I wonder why I don't believe that?:rolleyes:

However don't we deserve to be informed on the progress of the work that is done to fix the problem if any? Or maybe that's too much to ask so, at least an acknowledgement somehwere on their website that the problem exists, and it concerns them. As Milestone said they are reading this forum so they must know. Do they? I don't see any proof.

I think we should prepare for the worst and start to come up with ideas of how to make them hear what we have to say. What are the things that can be done to make this as much as we can public. Is it really impossible to make such a big company pay for the hassle they caused.?

I would still keep my laptop if it gets fixed. It was my choice based on the assumption is machine free of defects. Specs are good, features are good extras are good so overal was such a promising product.

ASUS, this is how you think a reputation is build? Answer, me!

:) Regards.

6. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Asus won't answer you here, this isn't an Asus support forum.

You'd have better luck trying the Asus support forum at asus.com.tw, although I think those are tagged 'unofficial' as well.

7. desk_star

desk_star desk_star

That's rethorical.

I couldn't get an answer while having them on the phone so I don't expect them to give me an answer here.

However, on the Notebook Review site Caleb developed a small VB app that will show you the real battery life but this is not the point. On the website where you can download Ver. 1 of the app he's saying that he halted development for Ver. 2 because in the meantime Asus fixed the battery wear problem at least for his laptop: a V6J or something like that. http://asusbatterywear.googlepages.com/home He was adamant that R1F could be fixed too as it is basically the same problem. He didn't posted though anything about how or what happened just left an email address on the above mentioned web site to contact him in order to obtain more information.

Do you guys know anything about this? Anybody else who got his battery wear problem solved?

8. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

I've seen lots of info bantered around, but little input (maybe none now that I think about it more) where someone has gotten the battery problem solved. (longer than one month so we know it's not a fluke)

I don't see that a software based fixes are going to help though...at least in my case. Both of the batteries I've had act fine for a while, but if you run them down a few times, they not only lose battery life, they cease to charge up properly. What I mean is; instead of taking a few hours to charge back up, you can leave it plugged in all night...over 12 hours and the charging light will stay on. If you power up, the tablet reports that the battery is say...67% charged. So my batteries get to a point that the don't charge up.

I'd love it if there was a software "fix" I could try, but I just don't see how there's a connection to the ACPI or whatever it's called. Plus...I have scads of other problems with the machine than need to be fixed, so the battery is the tip of the iceberg.

So...sorry, I'm kind of "dumb" on the "fixes" to try.

9. desk_star

desk_star desk_star

Maybe I confused you guys with my post. My opinion is that the problem could be anything. However, ACPI or battery chip sounds plausible. It could be ASUS's conspiracy hand in hand with their battery supplier. Who knows?

The main point is that it seems he got it fixed. At least that's what he says and I found out this information accidentally visiting the website where he published that application. The application is not a fix, it's just a better miser.

So what he's talking about is that he sent his laptop to ASUS and got it fixed.
    I don't know if you visited the link in my previous post http://asusbatterywear.googlepages.com/home but this is what he says:

excerpt
    I have stopped working on Version 2! This is because I have gotten my V6j fixed, which leaves hope for everyone else to have their computer fixed. Contact me via the email address below if you have questions about what to do to have your Asus with a battery wear problem fixed.

So, I sent him an email to find out more cause the thread where they were discussing their similar battery issues ended abruptly with Caleb's post where he was mentioning that he just sent his laptop for repairs. The website seems to confirm that he got it fixed. I didn't get an answer yet so I'm waiting.

Could this be just a bad joke? I hope not.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.