If not...then what?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by gulik23, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah I reckon! Most people who seek these forums are people with problems. I repeat "most", don't flame me!

Jurisprudence:
    Thanks for the support. If only my message would get across to potential buyers like that. Let's hope Asus drones read it too. Please let me know how it turns out in court (if it does). I want a piece of the action too!

comet128:
    Yeah... I don't think you should be condescending on anybody who voices their opinions and experiences on a product. Anyway, apology accepted =) Well it's almost been a year; I've run out of all hope n faith for this company. They've abandoned us.

2. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder why Asus won't do the obvious...to all of those who have spent months trying to get their machine working properly REFUND THEIR MONEY. What gives? I sent mine in for repair, assumed it was fixed, sold it and the buyer contacted me miffed that the machine had problems. He had exactly the same problems I sent the unit in for! I REFUNDED HIS MONEY. So how come joe and jane nobody with scant resources to afford $2000 boondoggles have to "do the right thing", but a multimillion/billion dollar company does not?

3. Jurisprudence

Jurisprudence Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, just wanted to say thanks Comet128 for your response to my post and your apology to Eva04. It very much appreciated and again i hope i didnt appear offensive in any way.

Hey Eva04 many thanks for your response. My experience with Austrailian consumer legislation is more limited than that of the Irish jurisdiction, naturally, but if i may know certain details i might be able to point you in the right direction if one is available. I think you have complied with the Asus repair system and as it has failed to be effectual. In such a situation you may have other options open to you.

If this is ok could you tell me

1) The exact date you bought your R1f
    2) The Company including whether they were a part of a chain (including name of parent company)
    3) The amount of times you have had it in for repair and the reasons
    4) The components replaced and/or repaired
    5) The timeframe between repair requests
    6) The territory were purchased (Australian legislation may vary territory to territory)

Please feel free to refuse this request, to send the details to me personally (see profile), or to post to the forum.

It may take me a while to look at the various legislative implementations, case law and remedies available to you.

4. NicH

NicH Pen Pal - Newbie

I joined because I had a problem initially which was resolved quickly and efficiently. Since then, it's been smooth sailing. I just check in on this place every now and then and I'm pretty constantly amazed at how bad some of you have had it.

It does sound like ASUS' Canadian customer service is head and shoulders above the other countries though. I feel bad for some of you.

5. Jurisprudence

Hey NicH, really glad you have experienced good service initially and no further issues with your unit. In this case thumbs up to Asus Canada on providing a satisfactory resolution.

This is a request to all to post your experience with the various divisions of Asus Global's support. Such information would serve to

1) Alert Asus Global to trends in good and bad service by division (if they care)
    2) Alert prospective buyers as to possible issues depending on their region and the service they can expect.

Although we have had more polls than an election campaign maybe one would be in order for their customer service divisions which would show good service as well as bad? If Asus Canada can resolve an issue others should be able to also and we can give credit were its due as well as complaints were its not.

6. comet128

comet128 Asus R1f User

Hi Jurisprudence & Eva04!

I enjoy reading the forums. I spent months on this site before purchasing a tablet pc. My first choice was the Toshiba R400, yet I can phathom spending $3500 (USD) on any electronic device other than a 42" Plasma TV. Toshiba--get real!

That left me with the Asus R1f. Yes, there were so many complaints about battery life, static in the audio jack, flickering screens and many folks waiting on their Vista upgrades. And after years of waiting for the perfect tablet pc to arrive on the market, I said what the heck, I'll try the R1f and weather the experience...

Well, static audio and flickering screens have been corrected through drivers I've downloaded from Asus site. However, now I am happy to report that I get only 2-1/2 hours of battery life from the main battery. Just a week or two ago I posted in another thread that I was getting just over 3 hours of battery life. So yes, I am feeling the drain...

Is there anyone out there using the Modular Bay Battery? And how much battery life are you receiving with both options in place? I plan on purchasing the Mod Battery, but also I would rather upgrade to a better performing Tablet PC. So I am looking forward to the HP2710p & the new Dell Tablet PC coming to market soon.

***UPDATE***
    Are any of you familar with the Class Action Lawsuits that consumers filed against Apple, Inc. over their ipod glass cracking and battery issues in the Macbooks? I didn't follow too closely, but I believe the consumers won their case. Jurisprudence, are you able to get the ball rolling for the Asus R1f consumers here?

7. Kib

Kib Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got off the phone with Asus to get my second RMA # to return my batteries, I bought an extra main when I bought my laptop because the modular wasn't released yet. Sending my first battery in went totally smoothly, although I have yet to extensively test the new one. Service has really been great, no issues other than the fact that I have to RMA 2 batteries...

8. Jurisprudence

Comet128. Really sorry to hear that you have started down the R1f trial along with the rest of us. Have you had a chance to run NHC to check the battery wear. My own personal favourite is Lavalys Everest as it shows you everything about your system, and i really mean everything so it really helps in diagnosis of other issues. It also has a vista sidebar to check on things.

I would honestly recommend that everyone who is experiencing issues take pictures and video (even camera-phone) of the battery serial numbers, laptop serial numbers etc. which may be used to trace the units at a later date and if needed create video reviews which are designed to be truthful of the experience of this tablet instead of the usual reviews helping Asus sell more faulty units which they refuse to admit to.

Personally i have photographed all the serial numbers and condition of all external component of my R1f prior to packing it for repair (which only occured weeks later due to Asus lying to me regards the courier). At the same time I also made a video of the R1f covering its faults which i am considering posting but I must ensure that it will not negatively influence any possible forthcoming litigation.

Comet128, I am aware of the Apple class action lawsuit regards the glass. However I am far more interested in the recent successes in Denmark against Apple through litigation aided by Danish and European comsumer legislation. I will report back when i have studied it further.

9. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

I guess since we're once again scrutinizing the quality of the R1F, I can throw in a question....

Has anyone noticed significant cosmetic damage of their R1-F resulting from nothing more than casual daily use? I know I have. Normally, I wouldn't think anything about it if there were a few scratches (even deep ones) on the outside of my R1-F. However, more and more I'm seeing signs of considerable wear on the plastic around the screen and keyboard of my laptop.

It is obvious to see that the wear is coming from the simple act of opening and closing the lid. At first, I just noticed one or two scratches in the first week I had the laptop. Now, after 6 months of ownership, along with my 'dying' battery, static-y audio, and flickering screen, I have a laptop that is covered in deep scratches on its interior.

I find it apalling that a company has produced a product so poorly that it cannot sustain normal operation without taking significant wear.

I'm in no way anal-retentive and didn't expect my computer's cosmetic condition to remain flawless, but deep scratches through the paint on the inside of the case within six months of use? C'mon Asus...where's your quality control?

I know it's a minor issue, but I think it stands as a testament to Asus's emphasis on quality control when they built their first run of R1-F's. Also, since I don't think cosmetic damage is covered in the warranty, I'm pretty much stuck with the scratches on the inside of my machine....it's ok though, the scratches help identify the tablet and it's pen as a maching set...

10. Jurisprudence

Hi Bornloser, by any chance are you experiencing some of these scratches to the left and right of the front touchpad area i.e. far bottom left and right of the laptop as you look down on the laptop keyboard area. If so can you check to make sure your touchpad is actually level.

I have scratches as described above coupled with a minor scratch on the laptop lid. This is caused by a raised touchpad area meeting with the back of the screen when in slate mode. Although it is not covered by the warranty i have demanded that Asus replace these components as it is caused by the deformed touchpad (a manufacturing defect) in combination with a loose screen hinge.

Yourself and others may also have noticed that although when closed the lid does not wobble when in slate mode it does. This appears to be because for whatever reason Asus choose to use an asymetrical push through locking mechanism on the lid. It fits perfectly when locked down normaly but will introducce wobble in slate mode if the screen hinge starts to loosen up. Great design, not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.