If No Z Canvas 2nd Ed, Is There A Logical Alternative?

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Steve S, Jan 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Hello Andrik. As you can see, our members are quite confident in their opinions! However, I'll be happy to take a moment and give you my opinion regarding your question.

Although the ZC is still an impressive machine two and a half generations later, the march of technology and especially software will eventually always take its toll. Most of us who are early adopters think primarily of hardware obsolescence, and we are always anxious to test drive or own the newest generation of devices.

But even if you elect to keep a particular device, software evolution and obsolescence will eventually cause most pragmatic users to seek newer equipment. The ZC certainly still has legs for the foreseeable future, but there haven't been any driver updates at the VAIO site for a long time; in fact, they have likely ended.

Meanwhile, Windows is going to continue to evolve and application software along with it. But the key links are the drivers. Eventually, the ZC's drivers are going to become incompatible with some desired application or another (or the necessary driver will be incompatible with the ZC's hardware) and at that point it will be necessary to move on.

That's why we are discussing ZC successors; it's because we all realize that even the best devices will inevitably become obsolete...

2. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

@FenderP: Are you not at least a bit angry (as I am) about the situation of soldered RAMs on tablets? You miss the opportunity to buy a machine that could suit your need (this Panasonic you talk about) because the industry chose by a tacit agreement between all the actors that this should be the norm! When you see the NUC, in which you can do whatever you want, or for example a quad core motherboard by ASROCK that integrates the 35W XEON (here), I find this such a shame that M2 SDDs can be upgraded in a lot of tablets, but not the RAM. Surely, there should be a way! @Steve S is talking about obsolescence in the previous post, and, with the release of RYZEN, we must once again observe the form of planned obsolescence, that is there to make us spend our $$, formed by excessive margins on the price of processors (we now see the difference of prices with the future AMD procs), by soldered processors introduced a few years ago (BGA vs LGA - no real justification on this (except for the smallest TDP procs and designs) and I hope AMD may be different for non desktop processors but I am pessimistic) and of course by soldered RAMs in tablet, with price differences between a 8GB and a 16GB model much higher than simply the difference of prices on the RAMs (there should be a small margin, but not as large as what we sometime observe; at least they can not solder the SSDs otherwise they would have a revolution on their hands!).

Talking about planned obsolescence: who bets that this technology will quickly be buried (or ignored): new batteries that may charge/discharge during 10 years and much longer than the limited 1000 cycles of LI/ion...

3. Andrik

Andrik Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes I know the ZC is probably end of life, but as you say yourself it will probably be a valid machine for some time to come. So what I meant to say is, why look for a successor now if you won't replace it for another one or two years. So any replacement machine you select at this point is likely to be obsolete when you finally decide to replace the ZC.

And really there is no real alternative for this particular machine. If you really need this kind of power in a small package...this is it. All other same form factor alternatives use low voltage CPU's.

4. Andrik

Andrik Pen Pal - Newbie

So the number of posts is the way for you to decide if you should take somebody serious...Real mature.
    I've been following this forum for a long time but never felt the need to post something. In fact I follow your quest for the external GPU solution with some interest.

5. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It was the tone man, that's all. Post count = time others have seen you. Doesn't equate to legitimacy of posts, but it does mean something.

6. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

If this was a new trend, I'd probably be indignant about it. With the rise of ultrabooks over the past 3 - 5ish years, soldering RAM onto the motherboard became the norm. Very few machines (and most are 14 - 15") have available RAM slots. I've become used to buying machines that have the amount of memory I need, and what I need at this point isn't covered by the ZC. No amount of power or the awesome cooling is going to make up for physically needing 16GB more RAM than it (or most other machines) can provide.

As a price point: 2 x 16GB laptop SO-DIMMs are $210 right now at my local Microcenter store for the pair. It's slightly higher on Amazon. From a cost perspective, it in theory should be no big deal to accomodate in an ultrabook even if it is soldered onto the motherboard. Sure, it'd be a touch different, but we're talking maybe $300 of cost here which I would be more than happy to pay.

7. FenderP

Who uses a laptop more than a year or two? The fact I've already had 20 months from the ZC is nearly a record.

That said, as I laid out, my needs have evolved. Power is not just a great CPU. The 4770 doesn't mean anything when I don't have enough RAM to run what I need. The ULV procs are not as bad as you seem to be making them out to be. Are they as good as the one in the ZC or NUC? No. But they're far from crap. It all depends on where your bottleneck and problem is. System design is tricky.

8. FenderP

Just a minor update: I wound up going with the Fujitsu U727 (no pen enabled input, but touchscreen) which supports 32GB (easy access - open the memory hatch). It has the dual core i7-7600U, and I'm happy to report it's pretty much been as quiet as the Z Canvas and if I'm being honest, just as snappy for what I'm doing. I currently have 13 VMs running along with Word, Outlook, etc., and with 32GB, it's all running nicely. What's also surprising is it's been pretty good with heat management. It never really gets hot, hence it being quiet and no fan kicking on (yes there is one). So for anyone worried about dual vs. quad, it may matter in some scenarios, but I'm not a light user and the U727 is handling it just fine. Granted, a lot of this is also system design. Another laptop with a 7600U could sounds like a jet taking off.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.